Thread: Just a Phone? WBLS Fall 1979 Song

Just a Phone? WBLS Fall 1979 Song

Gize,

I'm from The Bronx, NY & a huge vinyl/disco lover. I was never a club person because I was too shy-- but you couldn't tear me away from my radio.

I remember LIKE CRAZY when 92 KTU went Disco in the summer '78. Every song they played, (back to back to back) was something we wanted to hear and KTU single-handedly (in my mind) forever buried AM radio here in NY.

I remember like CRAZY when 99 WXLO became 98.7 KISS-FM in 1980 with Shep Pettibone handling the MasterMixing duties.

But most of all -- to which you'll constantly hear me SCREAM ABOUT..... I remember TED CURRIER, who was at KTU for about a year, then he and another DJ jumped ship to WBLS in the fall of 1979.

(He & Shep Pettibone once came on Mr. Magic's show late in 1982 and Ted mentioned he retired sometime in '81) - a sad day for me.

If you guys ONLY KNEW and COULD HEAR the tapes I had of Ted Currier! If only I still had them! He was the best!!

Anyway, the song I'm inquiring about is a song I only heard him play during his "Special Musical Mixes" at midnight -- (introduced by a taped Frankie Crocker)

The song had a long beat part between the lyrics and they were a male vocal group. It went like...... "Say now Just a phone. (justa, justa, justa, just-a-phone) To make your heart get ready." Something like that.

I DON'T KNOW THE LYRICS! (and I seriously doubt that he's saying "just a phone") But the song came out in the fall of 1979 and had horns in it.

any help would be grrrrrreeatly appreciated!
    after all, it's been 25 years since i last heard it

thanks, Kev

P.S.: (I wonder if any of you remember the night when Ray Todd of Studio 54 was the guest DJ on Studio 92, KTU -- late summer of 1979? He was using the echo machine, cone machine, cutting records to death, Freakin' blew my 18 yr. old mind away!

I remember him mixing the hell out of:

France Joli's "Come To Me"
    Poussez' "Come On and Do It"
    Freddie James' "Get Up and Boogie" and
    Bonnie Pointer's "Heaven Must've Sent You"

The guy went nuts! It was one of the best nights ever for radio

discodjii is offline Advance Promo Copy [Level 3]

I remember TED CURRIER

I used to hear Ted at nite when he'd be the guest dj on the KISS Master Mix. The man would come out with some serious mixes that weren't mainstream. I HAD some of these mixes but did a lot of cutting & pasting. It funny because unless it was Ted, Shep or Tony Humphries, I never bothered to record the mixes. I remember his mix segues were beautifully made. I can go on & on about Ted, in fact I believe 1 of his mixes may be on deephouse.com.

As for the song you're looking for, honestly, I don't have a clue. The best I can come up with was female vocals (can't recalled the artist) that did "Just A Groove." . . . justa, justa, justa groove, justa groove - to - make you move.

8)
    That sounds like Glen Adams Affair "It's Just a Groove" from 1981-ish.

Re: Just a Phone? WBLS Fall 1979 Song

"The song I'm inquiring about is a song I only heard him play during his "Special Musical Mixes" at midnight -- (introduced by a taped Frankie Crocker)

The song had a long beat part between the lyrics and they were a male vocal group. It went like...... "Say now Just a phone. (justa, justa, justa, just-a-phone) To make your heart get ready." Something like that.

--------

Finally, Success! (25 years later) I finally heard it on 88.3 WBGO-FM Sunday night.

The group was "Morning, Noon & Night" and the song is: "Bite Your Granny" from their 1977 album.

Sounds like they are saying "Just a phone" between the lyrics.

I just bought the album on eBay. And, I hope the album version is the same as the 12 inch version -- because I see there IS a 12 inch version too.

thanks for all your help!

NickNack is offline Double Platinum Record [Level 9]

Re: Just a Phone? WBLS Fall 1979 Song

Quote Originally Written by Fall of '78
    Finally, Success! (25 years later) I finally heard it on 88.3 WBGO-FM Sunday night.

The group was "Morning, Noon & Night" and the song is: "Bite Your Granny" from their 1977 album.
    Hi Fall of '78 and welcome to the board. I'm shaking my head and smiling because the song you're talking about is the same song I just told everyone on the board last week that I'd never heard of. Supposed to be released on a CD compilation next week, 6/22, titled,"Disco Gold". Check out this thread:

http://www.discomusic.com/forums/vie...er=asc&start=0

Hey NickNack!,

What's doin' buddy? Sorry I took so long to respond -- I haven't been online in a while.

Funny how things happen ain't it? The last time I heard "Bite Your Granny" must've been around Jan/Feb. 1980 during Ted Currier's musical mixes on WBLS at midnight. (they only gave him an hour of airplay and it was already on tape)

Strange huh? He played it often during his mixes --- and it was a two year old song! (I NEVER heard the song here in New York when it came out!)

If anything, he mostly played club songs that were popular at the time. Not being a club person, I didn't recognize most of what he played. I just knew they sounded good, his mixing was unlike anything I ever heard before, and I just rightfully assumed the audience he was targeting was the club crowd --- for they were not songs played in WBLS' regular rotation.

Two things though. Someone else made a very good point. It is sad how a lot of good R&B and club records made right here in the U.S. don't get any airplay.....

...... but are given a chance over in Europe. My favorite group of all-time, Kid Creole & The Coconuts (the offshoot of Dr. Buzzard's Savannah band) has this problem. He says he couldn't even catch a cab here in New York, but his concerts can fill a stadium in Brazil. He lives and performs mostly in Europe where he's beloved. Can't say I blame the guy.

Or how you can't find a lot of 12" disco versions here, but they are available in Europe. That's such a travesty. Like Prince's "Sexy Dancer". (the 12" long version was made available only in the U.K.)

Before I go, I gotta tell anyone reading this --- the album version of "Bite Your Granny" IS shorter. It's 3:46 compared to the long version which is 7:18. And, the album version is horrible. I have it now and I don't like it.

see ya around!,
    fall of '78

LOL. Let's face it. How would anyone ever come up with Bite Your Granny if they didn't know the record? That's the sorta lyric that you find in every other song, eh......

BTW: BITE YOUR GRANNY was one of the biggest records for me in the summer of '77 in funky Mallorca, Spain. It's one of my all time favourite funk jams. I just have to get that 12" version on CD.

NickNack is offline Double Platinum Record [Level 9]
    Hi Fall of '78,

Glad you found your song. It's wild that I bought the Disco Gold CD because of the Phyllis Hyman cut but the one I keep coming back to is this.

:lol: WE'VE GOT JUST THE FUNK (JUST THE FUNK, Funk, funk, funk...) TO MAKE YOU BITE YOUR GRANNY! :D

Makes me smile every time. As they used to say at 'The Rabbit': "This is a song for the children ." Just a hot little party jam.

Nicky: You don't know how pleased I am that you've discovered this gem. Although a biggish club hit with UK DJs, I don't suppose there would have been more than a few thousand Brits that really 'knew' the track, or even bought it, BITD. It always made me smile whenever I played it.....one of those records that I looked upon as something special. 8)

AWWWW MAN! You guys are giving me HUGE memories when I was a kid listening to Disco 92 WKTU in 1978! Those were the days of ''Hello, This Is'' Roscoe, Carlos Dejesus, ''Have no fear'' Paco ''is here!'' & Fast Freddie Colon.

I remembered ''Bite Your Granny'' back then because my dad was a DJ too, but you could never hear it anymore today. Bummer.

And the long version was a whole lot better than the short, which didn't give enough time to really enjoy yourself. But I grew up in the Tri State area & I really miss those ''Carter-Reagan'' days between 1976 & 1984, the BEST in music!

My two cents. Thanx guys.

Permissions

vagrant-critical