Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does Anyone Know...?

On 2001-11-08 09:55, Bernie wrote:

Graham,

While you raise many valid points, I feel that you've taken Giovanni's and Jussi's comments too seriously. I'm pretty sure that if we were able to see them face to face there would have been a little wink-wink and light-hearted nudge on the shoulder to go along with their remarks.

Well if that's the case, then I do apologize for going off like that. But I have come across a number of people who present such irrational arguements when it comes to this...

Back to vinyl, while it has many faults, I still love the warm sound and the great full-size artwork that usually goes with it.

On this I will glady agree. The wonderful cover art on many of these LPs is stunning. You just can't get pull it off with a CD. I almost bought Björk's "Homogenic" on vinyl just to have the sleeve.

I sometimes don't even notice the occassional imperfections since I'm more into the music.

The problem I'm having is that more often than not, the imperfections aren't occasional.

Even so, I am getting a little used to the sterile sound of CDs.

Have you ever heard a Marantz CD player? I bought one a few years ago on the advice of the dealer, and I was pleasantly surprised. I wasn't expecting it to sound any different that my old Sony -- but it really does. Not brighter or heavier, but more... detailed. It's kind of hard to explain.

One point that I do wish to point out is that many CDs, especially ones from the 80s, were badly mastered and really bring out the shortcomings of 16/44.1. Back in the day, the engineers were so thrilled about the lack of surface noise that they overlooked a lot of other flaws. Often they would use the same master for the CD that was used for cutting the LP, which is a big mistake, as the LP's master would've been created to compensate for the EQ and processing at the cutting stage. So the CD would sound thin and glassy... this is why you're seeing all these albums that have been on CD for years suddenly get "digitally remastered".

Also, a lot of disco CD reissues are done to appallingly low standards -- Unidisc and Hot Productions have some truly dreadful discs out there.

What kind of playback equipment do you have?

My system is what I would call "somewhat above average". NAD integrated amp, Mission speakers (I've always lived in apartments, so there's no sense in getting massive woofers or anything like that), low-end Marantz CD player as described above, Dual turntable with Ortofon cartridge. The turntable is not high-end by any means, but it's the best detail/price ratio that I could find. The drawback is that there's very little bass with this cartridge, so I have to run it through EQ anyway.

I'm considering getting a new turntable, but here I'm at a loss. I'm concerned mainly with sound quality as I have no aspirations to be a DJ. On one hand, it seems like everyone's got a Technics 1200, but then all the audiophiles tell me stuff like "don't waste your money, that's a DJ's turntable, it's built for manhandling and not sound quality". Others tell me the opposite: "The 1200 was originally designed as a top-of-the-line unit for the consumer market, it can produce great sound, you just need to get a good cartridge and stylus and you're set".

Any suggestions? My main pet peeve of vinyl is inner-groove distortion... and I don't have $75,000 for a laser turntable I know Shure makes a cart/stylus that's quite good for this, but it costs more than a 1200 itself.

Bernie is offline DiscoMusic.com Owner / Administrator
    Graham,

I had just been busy finishing up a HUGE, and I mean huge, post in response to yours when the power clicked out for a split second and I lost everything.

I'm too pissed and lost my train of thought to even rewrite, but hope to later tonight if I have time. Sorry.

PS: the Technics 1200's are nice and I have two, but they are NOT audipphile tables. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Buy a used Rega Planar, VPI or NAD with a Grado cart.
    Bernard Lopez

Owner/publisher of DiscoMusic.com - on the web since 1996.

DiscoMusic.com on Facebook and Google+

Hello everyone!

Ok, vinyl is fine, but if you listened to the restorations Graham does, you would have to agree with him. The man makes a PERFECT job! The sound is FANTASTIC!!!

Besides, there were a lot of obscure disco albums I have been searching for years... (Rinder And Lewis productions)... They are really hard to find items. Graham actually OWNS the VINYLS. He denoised them, restored the music, which now plays INTACT in its original form, but free from the scratches made a long time ago in those old vinyl albums.

I've been searching these records for 22 years and it was absolutetly impossible to find them here in my country. Now, with internet, it became a little bit easier to locate them, but still they are really obscure and it is still difficult to find them. Sometimes when we do, the copy is so worn out and screched that, although it is worthwhile possessing it, it isn't worthwhile listening to it.

So if it wasn't for Graham's work, I would probably never listen to the music I've been searching for.

It was a unique opportunity he give me. His intentions are great: to spread disco-music to the largest number of people as possible, although the world treats it as if it had never existed.

I think that if we can access rare music and enjoy it, then the CDs have fulfilled its obligations.

Graham also restores the ORIGINAL ALBUM. He is not doing greatest hits disco compilations. We have instant access to the ORIGINAL LP, released at the time in its full majestic glory. But this we can only achieve through CD, since the albums are long unavailable, deleted and scratched.

Bye

Thank you

Paulo

Graham - actually one CAN find all kinds of stuff, all it takes is endless hours of rampaging throgh junk shops. Trust me I've done it for 20 years or more. Wherever I go it's right at the top of the agenda - sleazy parts of towns, back streets, fleamarkets looking for that 12" of PRETTY MAID by The Pretty Maid Company . The stuff IS there.

[quote]

But I have come across a number of people who present such irrational arguements when it comes to this...

[quote]

Well..obsessed people are of course far from being rational. We are just the way we are. My wife still gets mortified after all these years when people exchange knowing looks when she tells them why Jussi will not be present at lunch or the art exhibition. "It's this thing he has for dusty old vinyl records, would you believe..." - Bernie mentioned the minidiscs. Those are actually rather great as one can shuffle the tracks around, wipe out the crappy ones, add new titles and write down names. Perfect for outdoor activities and for letting you listen to rare cuts from someone's collection. Next best thing to a pair of Technics 1200 I'd say!

On 2001-11-12 06:06, JussiK wrote:

Graham - actually one CAN find all kinds of stuff, all it takes is endless hours of rampaging throgh junk shops.

I know, I know, I do the same thing... but I don't travel very often (I'm going to NY in a couple of weeks; first time I've been anywhere), and believe me, I've really exhausted the local resources. Canada was the first country to completely cease production of vinyl, I'll have you know...

...even more worrisome is that an alarming number of good record shops -- both new and used -- have closed their doors recently. Sam's, once the major national chain and the only place that had a decent selection of disco on CD, filed for bankruptcy a couple of weeks ago. Soon there will be nothing left here but HMV, who suck some serious ass.

- Bernie mentioned the minidiscs. Those are actually rather great as one can shuffle the tracks around, wipe out the crappy ones, add new titles and write down names. Perfect for outdoor activities and for letting you listen to rare cuts from someone's collection. Next best thing to a pair of Technics 1200 I'd say!

I love the MiniDisc format myself; but I'm probably the only person in my country who owns a deck (at least it seems like it). Can't wait for the NetMD units to come out, which will finally allow for full integration with the PC.

check out http://www.21centurymusic.com and http://www.vinylmania.com if they dont have it no one will

On 2001-11-12 11:29, djoem wrote:

check out http://www.21centurymusic.com and http://www.vinylmania.com if they dont have it no one will

Then no-one has it.

sorry about that i was looking for years for caught your act from the hues corp and jump to the beat from stephie lattisaw and 21 music had

all of then so that why i said to check them out

if u know of any better record shops list them i will try them

Masdefi is offline Underground Hit [Level 5]

On 2001-10-24 12:18, markydefad wrote:

"I Got To Have Your Love" - Fantastic Four

Any info appreciated. Thanks.

I've got "I Got To Have Your Love" - Fantastic Four from Westbound Records. It clocks in at 5:10.

I think this is the longer existing version.

Do you want it?

BTW, did you give a listen to my locker in myplay.com?

People all over the world, It\'s time for love & understanding, Come together!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Permissions

vagrant-critical