Find a song, artist, record...
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Arabic Disco?

Arabic Disco?

I was wondering was there any arabic disco since there was already western disco like boot clements? The only arabic disco i know is the arabian nights medley by ritchie family.

No disco but synthpop from early 80's

Miro Miroe - Nights in Arabia (c)1982 CBS records
    If you buy this record your life, will be better.

Re: Arabic Disco?

Quote Originally Written by mixtape
    I was wondering was there any arabic disco since there was already western disco like boot clements? The only arabic disco i know is the arabian nights medley by ritchie family.
    Which, having been composed by Maurice Jarre, is about as Arabic as the Yellow Magic Orchestra...

Then there's the Orient Express "Desert Fantasy" LP, but this appears to be an Israeli/French production.

ruoffended is offline Underground Hit [Level 5]
    Voyage Lp from 1977 side A track 3 : Orient express ... the only one i can think of at the moment ...RU 8)

''Dreamin' about those disco lights''
    **Dreamin\' about those disco lights**

Check out the group 'La Bionda' and their hit "SandStorm".

darrens is offline Underground Hit [Level 5]
    Also, check out "Gaz-o-lean" by 212 on the "Extensions from Area Code 212" LP. This sounds quite middle-eastern, so much so that a DJ on this forum made a bootleg from it which he called "Disco Taliban" :lol:

But the Taleban aren't from the middle east...

Forrrce is offline Gold Record [Level 7]
    I have a couple of LPs by a co-op called the Soul Messengers, who are Israeli. The stuff is unbelieveble - disco/soul/funk/jazzy/fusion - they sound like a US indie outfit from the '70s. The covers depict the various member in turbans and robes, with staffs - and the text is largely arabic???? on one and exclusively so on the other. Definitely surprising records.
    What would you do without your muesli...where would you be without a bowl?

darrens is offline Underground Hit [Level 5]
    Quote Originally Written by Graham_Start
    Picky! Well, it's not far away from the middle east, either geographically or culturally

Quote Originally Written by darrens
    Quote Originally Written by Graham_Start
    Picky! Well, it's not far away from the middle east, either geographically or culturally
    What I should've said is that they aren't Arabs. But Afghanistan is actually pretty far from the middle east -- certainly further than Greece is from Asia. And they are quite different, speaking very different languages and having large cultural and historical differences. The only common thread is Islam.

Lumping all Muslims together shows some pretty serious ignorance, and is the kind of thinking that has helped perpetuate the current conflicts.

Nano is offline Gold Record [Level 7]
    At the end of the 80's there were a couple of great dance hits with arabic undertones. One was from Ofra Haza (RIP) and the other "Fata Morgana" by Dissidenten.
    Sorry, Graham. At least they sounded Arabic for me :lol:
    Some months ago, during the war in Iraq, I made a dance party with some friends. I remember the most played song was "Fata Morgana"...

a bit hard-to-find but a very nice italian record from 1982 is Gate - Arabian (blood records)

with arabian melodies & vocoders singing something like "we are arabian"

NickNack is offline Double Platinum Record [Level 9]
    Quote Originally Written by Nano
    At the end of the 80's there were a couple of great dance hits with arabic undertones. One was from Ofra Haza (RIP)...
    I remember this lady. I have a 12" titled "Wish Me Luck" from 1985 which I really liked. It was produced by Arif Mardin of Atlantic Records fame. When did she pass away?

Quote Originally Written by NickNack
    When did she pass away?
    In 2000. Although initially the cause of death was "undetermined", it eventually emerged that she died of AIDS. Her family tried very hard to prevent this from being found out.

Ofra Haza was an Israeli singer who had a number of hits in the 80's.I have three of her 12" promos.

Im Nin'alu-1987
    Ya Ba Ye-1989
    Galbi -1989

These were interesting recordings to say the least can't say I found these inspiring but apparently they did well in the UK and US clubs.Definately Middle Eastern sounding.A very beautiful woman from what I have seen of her on the cover of Im Nin'alu.

From the AMG review.

"Long one of Israel's most popular singers, Ofra Haza broke through to international recognition during the mid-1980s when her traditional music found favor on the U.K. club circuit, its success leading to a series of unlikely pop projects. Born in Tel Aviv on November 19, 1959, Haza was the daughter of Yemenite parents forced to flee from their native country's Muslim regime; at the age of 12 she joined the renowned Hatikva theatrical troupe, and with the group cut a number of award-winning records before serving a compulsory two-year tour of duty in the Israeli army. Upon her discharge, in 1979 she mounted a solo career, becoming a star not only at home but also in neigboring Arab nations; in 1983, her recording of "Hi!" placed second in the annual Eurovision Song Contest.

Inspired by the ancient melodies taught to her by her mother, in 1985 Haza recorded Yemenite Songs, which featured traditional instruments as well as lyrics drawn from the 16th century poetry of Shalom Shabazi; not only a major hit at home, the album was also a worldbeat smash in England as well. With 1988's Shaday, she turned away from traditional sounds to pursue more dance-flavored material, and the single "Im Nin'al" even reached the Top 20 on the U.K. pop charts, additionally becoming a club favorite in the U.S. Haza's music was also sampled on the Eric B. and Rakim rap classic "Paid in Full," and her vocals later found their way into M.A.R.R.S.'seminal "Pump Up the Volume" as well.

1989's Desert Windwas sung largely in English, and its release corresponded with Haza'sfirst American tour. For 1992's Grammy-nominated Kirya, she teamed with producer Don Was, and welcomed guests Iggy Popand Lou Reed; that same year, Haza also recorded the single "Temple of Love" with British goth-rockers the Sisters of Mercy. Despite her success, however, she was silent throughout the middle of the decade, finally resurfacing in 1997 with a self-titled LP issued on her new label BMG Ariola. Haza died unexpectedly of AIDS-related complications on February 23, 2000.
    Different eyes see different things. Different hearts beat on different strings. But there are times for you and me when all such things agree...Rush

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Permissions