Find a song, artist, record...

Angry Sister Sledge: they ARE family, but not in concert...

I was pretty excited when I heard Sister Sledge were coming to Australia. Even though I suspected they would not use backing tracks and the strings which made them sound so amazing on their megahits would be absent, how could I pass up the opportunity to see the girls in concert, it would surely be my only opportunity to see them? So you can imagine my surprise when after sending a message to Debbie Sledge, highlighting my anticipation of the concert, she sent one back saying "I'm so sorry, but I am not going to be there, I did not know anything about it!". Then Johann let me know that in fact it would be just Kathy Sledge and some backup singers. So I am quite disappointed. And doubt I will go. To have to pay 79 dollars, miss out on a night at work to hear a substitute for the real thing...is it worth it, or should I just be grateful for the music they made and forget about it? It seems like false advertising to me: SISTER Sledge, not one woman and backups. The whole thing has gotten under my skin.
    Join D I S C O M A D N E S S on FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/groups/303583563027591/

Videoskooter is offline *** Forum Leader / Moderator ***

Re: Sister Sledge: they ARE family, but not in concert...

It's a weird story.

The Australian press announced this http://www.starobserver.com.au/celeb...nce-tour/74315

But I've got this info http://www.liveguide.com.au/Tours/76...ustralian_Tour

So, if Debbie doesn't know she has to take a plane, I'm pretty sure you are going to get this

and not this

Check Out Our Official Channel

DBS™ Media & Entertainment ® 81925 München/Deutschland

discodevil is offline Underground Hit [Level 5]

liveguide.com.au call it the "Sister Sledge ft Kathy Sledge Australian Tour"a little bit of a sneaky title for a tour.

She sounds great live.

well, when "Sister Sledge" was announced on the recent PBS "Salute to Disco" there were only 2 of them performing but they were 2 of the original singers. They sounded good to my ears, the arrangement of the music was pretty nice also, but we'll all need to accept the fact that few of the premiere disco acts are still around in their original form so tributes are pretty much all you can expect at this point. Tavares were on the same show and there were only 3 of them. The Village People were there also but I only recognized one, possibly two from the original group. "Wild Cherry" was announced but there was no one there but the original lead singer. Of course they still use their original names when they can because the names are what people associate with the hits and that's what makes people buy tickets. Not everyone agrees with this concept though. Some surviving members of the Doors, the Temptations and the group War met a lot of resistance when trying to use the names of their groups, even inspiring picketing at one show I read about. Apparently you're too young to have experienced the original disco magic of the late 1970s and early 80s but I experienced it and it was just that, magic. 5/6/2012

I saw the Kathy only incarnation in the UK a couple of years ago and although it was fun and entertaining (albeit a trifle cheesy including covers of other peoples disco hits). I was very disappointed not to see the other sisters though. Some of the singers were related (I think it was a daughter of Kathys but don't quote me, and some cousin) plus someone who did not look remotely Sledge. I gather some of the other Sisters do their own version of the act, Jeez!! I wander if there was some falling out?
    "You can dance forever if you want to"

Quote Originally Written by Zef View Post
    I saw the Kathy only incarnation in the UK a couple of years ago and although it was fun and entertaining (albeit a trifle cheesy including covers of other peoples disco hits). I was very disappointed not to see the other sisters though. Some of the singers were related (I think it was a daughter of Kathys but don't quote me, and some cousin) plus someone who did not look remotely Sledge. I gather some of the other Sisters do their own version of the act, Jeez!! I wander if there was some falling out?
    Yeah, the cheese part I was expecting, but I definitely did expect to see them all. I think they were on Oprah a couple of years ago, all four of them, so I am not sure about the argument. Maybe? I wonder if any others will go to these concerts and be unpleasantly surprised. I'm glad I found out before I spent my money on it.
    Join D I S C O M A D N E S S on FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/groups/303583563027591/

SanDee is offline Double Platinum Record [Level 9]

Maybe the other sisters don't like to fly
    They Only Come Out At Night.......
    My heart is in the cause of the uncommon man.

Saw Kathy in the '90s (with her solo billing, as this was post "Take Me Back To Love"), and she was fine in live form, but I don't quite get why she'd have to resort to "group" billing as "Sister Sledge" if she's the only sis on the stage. I'd personally be ticked off to pay $$ expecting a group appearance, and not getting it.

I don't think the 4 original sisters have toured together as the original Sister Sledge in years. Anything I've ever seen them in has been some of incomplete mix of 1, 2 or 3 of the originals and that's it. I think there must have been something happen, well I suspect, but I know what Boogienights is getting at. I wouldn't want to go to a concert of a favourite group and find out that it's only 1 or 2 of the originals and I kind of don't agree that they should still be able to use the name in the way that it makes it appear that you're getting all 4 of the original sisters Sledge. Billing to should be.. Kathy Sledge of Sister Sledge In Concert.

It's like one of my fave groups The Osmonds still perform. Its not the 5 original brothers - Alan, Wayne, Merrill, Jay and Donny. Donny doesn't perform with the brothers - Jimmy has now taken over Donny's part in the group. Alan's retired due to having MS. Wayne just recently had a brain aneurism, so its just Merrill, Jay and Jimmy. It's the Osmonds yeah, but not THE Osmonds if you get what I mean.

NickNack is offline Double Platinum Record [Level 9]

I watched a PBS special Sunday night, "SUPERSTARS OF THE 70s", that sounds like the one Cory mentioned in his post. The last act to close out the show was (and they were announced as): Debbie and Joni Sledge of Sister Sledge. They did sound and look great but to me it was hurtful to have them singing "We Are Family / I've Got All My Sisters With Me" when obviously there were sisters missing. I mean, the audience was having a good time but I don't believe they had to shell out $79.00 as boogienights would have had to do and then be let down because of shady advertising. I remember those days with the Temptations when you didn't know which of the original 5 were going to be on stage because they were in court for the rights to the name. It was crap and it pissed a lot of the public off. Maybe the Sisters Sledge are fighting the same battle --- which doesn't serve their fans well at all.
    Love Has No Time or Place
    Nicky

Well I guess it's an event I will miss, maybe it's unwise to ruin my perception of them and just hold on the music I have.

Permissions