Thread: Is this a style: Undergroundy, rare-groovy jazz-funk stuff with a disco beat

Diskos is offline Test Pressing [Level 2]

Is this a style: Undergroundy, rare-groovy jazz-funk stuff with a disco beat

Hello again.

Tamiko Jones - Let It Flow (1976)

Eddie Russ - Zaius (1976)

Two absolutely gorgeous tracks. I've been wondering whether this is a particular disco style. I love this rather early rare-groove-style disco. It has a very deep quality in comparison to many party-style late-1970s disco tracks, it features jazz / jazz-funk sensibilities, and improvisation. So I'd be grateful for your own thoughts as well as music suggestions.

P.S. A funny side remark: I was hanging out with others when I searched and found the "Let It Flow" track from Spotify and played it. I didn't notice though that I had chosen the lyric version, not the instrumental version. It wasn't exactly the safest thing to play... Not that I would have minded that much, but others might have. I'm usually not the quickest to notice the countless sexual innuendos of disco music, although by this time I should know better...
    Last edited by Bernie; May 2nd, 2012 at 08:52 PM. Reason: embed videos

Re: Is this a particular disco style?

Quote Originally Written by Diskos View Post
    Hello again.

Two absolutely gorgeous tracks. I've been wondering whether this is a particular disco style. I love this rather early rare-groove-style disco. It has a very deep quality in comparison to many party-style late-1970s disco tracks, it features jazz / jazz-funk sensibilities, and improvisation. So I'd be grateful for your own thoughts as well as music suggestions.

P.S. A funny side remark: I was hanging out with others when I searched and found the "Let It Flow" track from Spotify and played it. I didn't notice though that I had chosen the lyric version, not the instrumental version. It wasn't exactly the safest thing to play... Not that I would have minded that much, but others might have. I'm usually not the quickest to notice the countless sexual innuendos of disco music, although by this time I should know better...
    I adore "Let It Flow". It is indeed a very sexy jam. From what I have read, the jazz funk scene was huge in the UK and so maybe you could look to some records that scored in that country. Some that I like that are sort of similar could be the Players Association "Goin To The Disco"... or Willie Bobo "Always There"... or look to M.F.S.B, they seem to have quite jazzy leanings... hope you like them!
    Join D I S C O M A D N E S S on FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/groups/303583563027591/

Scientist is offline Indie Release [Level 4]

Hi Diskos,
    Jazz-funk or jazz-fusion developed in the early 70s and was mainly jazz artists "crossing over" and fusing funk rhythms with jazz. I think it was inevitable that those artists would fuse disco rhythms with jazz as disco gained in popularity. Another variant was jazz fused with samba or salsa rhythms although this was nothing new as Dizzy Gillespie had worked with Chano Pozo in the late 40s
    As the eurodisco sound gained ground in US productions, jazz-funk lost its way and by the late 80s we had the horrors of smooth jazz
    Anyway, 2 great finds by yourself and may I recommend Norman Connors, Roy Ayers, Donald Byrd, Lonnie Liston Smith and The Crusaders?

Hmm, it's apparently always difficult to convey a certain style. The sound I'm referring to is this undergroundy, rare-groovy jazz-funk stuff with a disco beat. I'm going to try to find some more examples. I started this thread because this particular disco style is incredibly rich and deep to me.

Three other examples sufficiently close, two of them rather average...

...and one that I'd probably vote as my all-time favorite disco track to listen to (as opposed to first-and-foremost "dancing" disco)

Quote Originally Written by Scientist View Post
    As the eurodisco sound gained ground in US productions, jazz-funk lost its way and by the late 80s we had the horrors of smooth jazz
    That's true, although a particular style is normally pretty unstable, go back or forth a couple of years, and there will be a substantial change. If it hadn't been for Eurodisco, then at least the digital reign of terror (synthesizers, drum machines, etc.) would have substantially changed the music anyway.

Anyway, 2 great finds by yourself and may I recommend Norman Connors, Roy Ayers, Donald Byrd, Lonnie Liston Smith and The Crusaders?
    Yes, thanks, I know all of these, although I haven't skimmed through their whole output yet.

I personally wouldn't call it a 'disco style' - it's Jazz Funk, pure & simple. In London BITD there were certain places you'd go to listen & dance to this music and others which were more pure disco. Obviuosly there were places that played both types. (I'm sure others will be along to name the clubs/pubs). Jazz Funk was more of an East London thing, there was a place on The Old Kent Rd I went a couple of times...there are still Jazz Funk nights going down in London that play this music...
    New Show - Every Wednesday 7pm - 9pm UK time http://www.starpointradio.com/

Scientist is offline Indie Release [Level 4]

Hi Diskos,
    If you like Sunny by Yambu, look out for the lp by Milton Hamilton Crystalised which has several tunes in a similar style. Theres also an lp by Louie Ramirez called A Different Shade of Black. And whilst I remember, there are 2 lps by Eddie Russ on Monument Records which might hit the spot called Take a look at yourself and See the Light

Hey RetroRuss - do you have any details of Jazz Funk sessions in London? My old bones might still be up for a night out as long as I can be back home with a mug of cocoa by midnight

You're talking about Jazz-Funk and Jazz-Fusion music. I would say though, that during the late '80s/early '90s, a number of British bands were making '70s style funk, as the Americans basically were tired of it all. A few names worth a mention are Brand New Heavies. Corduroy. Jamiroquai. And Incognito who BTW, have just released a version of "Ain't it Time"
    Anyhow, here's a few more funk/fusion tracks you could take a look at:

Very disco-fied funk from the Spaniards!

Good old-fashioned US funk.

Ultra-funky disco. Lovely!

I hope that helps.

Hi Diskos,
    If you like Sunny by Yambu, look out for the lp by Milton Hamilton Crystalised which has several tunes in a similar style. Theres also an lp by Louie Ramirez called A Different Shade of Black. And whilst I remember, there are 2 lps by Eddie Russ on Monument Records which might hit the spot called Take a look at yourself and See the Light

Hey RetroRuss - do you have any details of Jazz Funk sessions in London? My old bones might still be up for a night out as long as I can be back home with a mug of cocoa by midnight
    Thank you, you understand me. Indeed, I have thought of putting some tracks from the Crystalized album here, but I deemed it unnecessary since I had the Sunny track already. Zaius, on the other hand, is exactly from the See the Light album.

See, they are using the newer (late-1970s) Rhodes here, which I don't like as much as the older (early-1970s) one. The new one sounds lighter and slightly more artificial.

With a Philly touch... (or it maybe is Philadelphia Soul?) So I'd say that these tracks are most typically from 1976, but have a range from about 1975 to 1978. Jazz-funk with a disco rhythm, and that ineffable rare groove vibe.

Thanks also for the other tracks (I like the Barrabas one), but the point is really to pin down something very specific, and jazz-funk alone is far too broad as a category. I claim that there's normally no ready language available if you're really looking for some specific sound. And my personal opinion on the contemporary jazz-funk- and disco-influenced groups is that they may be good, but they'll never reach the level of the originals. Even if they are musically up to par, the instrumentation and small style variations will remove any doubt as to the period. I like some of Jamiroquai's tracks, though. The only contemporary music style I like is deep house / soulful house.

...my personal opinion on the contemporary jazz-funk- and disco-influenced groups is that they may be good, but they'll never reach the level of the originals. Even if they are musically up to par, the instrumentation and small style variations will remove any doubt as to the period. I like some of Jamiroquai's tracks, though. The only contemporary music style I like is deep house / soulful house.
    That's a fair point, and I also like Souful House as it's basically Disco. But...the British funk bands of the old days, who made disco and soul music also, were comparable - and sometimes even better than - some of their American counterparts.

Here's a few examples which may tickle you!

Enjoy the crackles?

Permissions

vagrant-critical