Find a song, artist, record...

Loleatta Holloway reviews disco singles, November 1978!

One day I picked up five "Blues and Soul" magazines from a local record store that specalised in punk; they became a treasure to me and I hung on to them with dear life...before realising a few years later that they could be found easily on Amazon (albeit for an expensive price: 24 dollars for one mag to Australia). Anyway, I would like to share with you a special feature of B and S Issue 265: Loleatta Holloway is the guest reviewer of disco singles! I will not include them all, but I will include as many as I can be bothered typing. Hope you enjoy.

Reviewed by Loleatta Holloway. This week's guest reviewer is the dynamic Ms Loleatta Holloway, a recent visitor to the U.K, where she appeared with Smokey Robinson at several venues, including the London Palladium.Loleatta's current album release is "Queen Of The Night" on Salsoul, which contains her current single release, "Only You".

MUSIQUE: In The Bush Produced by Patrick Adams

Yeah, it's that man again, and this disc outing is simple, gimmicky, but oh so effective and tailor made for the dance floor. In effect, it's similar to the Michael Zager hit, "Lets All Chant" with yet again, the rhythms, and that catchy hook line, dominating everything, I'll have to think about getting this into my show! (RATING 5 out of 5)

CHAKA KHAN: I'm Every Woman Produced by Arif Marden

I believe this is already making waves over here in the U.K - and not surprisingly! Chaka is very much a stylist, possessing one of the best voices in the business, and when this is coupled with a great Ashford and Simpson song and stong production by veteran Arif Marden, success is defintely on the cards! The whole record wreaks os style and polish, from the orchestration and musicianship to Chaka's vocals, both lead and back up, and I can't see this being anything other than a monster hit (RATING 5 out of 5)

PATRICK JUVET: I Love America Produced by Jacques Morali

I like the nice guitar work on the intro and the punchy disco line carries the song through. This I understand is making chart progress, and could develop into a biggie for Mr Juvet. It's not heavy at all, but pop disco material, and as such - very commercial. Not really my type of music, but nonetheless very pleasant (RATING 4 out of 5)

FINISHED TOUCH: I Love To See You Dance produced by Kenny Stover

Another new Motown group, and two tracks from the very good "Need To Know You Better" album. Straight disco rhythms prevail, but it lacks that certain something to really make a big impression on the over burdoned disco market. (RATING 3 out of 5)

MECO: Themes From the Wizard of Oz Produced by Meco, Tony Bongiovi and Harold Wheeler

Meco come hot foot from their "Star Wars" trip and bounce on down the yellow brick road! It's a well tried and tested formula and of course the movie is about to explode, so I guess it's a possible chart contender. The tunes are all very familiar and produced with a strong disco appeal, and I like it. Full of rhythm and sound effects (perhaps overdone a shade) but good fun. (RATING 4 out of 5)

more later
    Join D I S C O M A D N E S S on FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/groups/303583563027591/

markydefad is offline Triple Platinum Record [Level 10]

Re: Loleatta Holloway reviews disco singles, November 1978!

Ms. Holloway is a very astute reviewer--dead-on, IMHO. [Who knew?] I'm diggin' her opinions. I want to read more.
    "Lost inside adorable illusion...."

Cheers Marky. Ok here are some more.

THE BROTHERS JOHNSON: Rocket Countdown/Blastoff/Ride O Rocket/ Dancin' And Prancin/ Thunder Thumbs and Lightnin Licks produced by Quincy Jones

Four tracks from the mighty Brothers Johnson - and they're baaaaaad! All tracks are right in that familiar B. J funk bag and our man Quincy Jones pilots the whole thing through with his usual class and perfection. (RATING 5 out of 5)

MAZE: Travellin' Man/ Golden Time Of Day produced by Frankie Beverly

Well, the vocals are fine, but the song and production is a little lightweight. The whole thing takes too long in getting off and even then, it tends to go nowhere fast! I can't see this picking up too much exposure in the disco's and therefore must give it the thumbs down in terms of success. I'm afraid it's much too average a release, particularly when we have heard so much excellent new (sic: stops there in review) (RATING 2 out of 5)

METROPOLIS: THe Greatest Show On Earth/New York Is My Kind Of Town produced by Tom Moulton and Thor Baldursson

Top side is a popified disco outing with a crossover potential produced by the energetic Tom Moulton. However, for me the slip is well worth the spin. Slow, dreamy intro makes way for a zippy rhythmic arrangement with soaring string arrangements , over ridden by the snappy vocals expounding the virtues of dancing in New York! (RATING 4 out of 5)

SUN: Wanna Make Love/ Boogie Bopper Produced by Beau Ray Fleming and Byron Byrd

Jazz funk disco and technically very good with some tasty horn lines pushing through the cutting rhythms. Sun broke through (excuse the pun) with "Sun is here" and I feel this is perhaps even better in terms of commercial appeal. (RATING 4 out of 5)

CHARLES JACKSON: Tonight's The Night/Ooh Child produced by Marvin Yancey and Gene Barge

Well, this is a classic demonstration of releasing the wrong track and does very little for Chuck who deserves a lot better. It's the Rod Stewart song but completely wrong for Chuck, and I can't imagine why they put it out here. There is a lot better material on the excellent "Passionate Breezes" album and this will do a big zero! Forget this single: go buy the lp! (RATING 2 out of 5) more later.
    Join D I S C O M A D N E S S on FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/groups/303583563027591/

remicks is offline Double Platinum Record [Level 9]

these reviews , by Loleatta ,

really?????

very suspect imo

I still recall the thrill -
    I guess I always will

Quote Originally Written by remicks View Post

these reviews , by Loleatta ,

really?????

very suspect imo
    If I believed in God, I would swear to God Remicks!! Honestly, these are in Blues and Soul magazine November 78! I wish I had a scanner and I tried to find it on Google but couldn't but really this is Loleatta reviewing the singles. Why suspect, kind sir???

Quote Originally Written by boogienights View Post
    If I believed in God, I would swear to God Remicks!! Honestly, these are in Blues and Soul magazine November 78! I wish I had a scanner and I tried to find it on Google but couldn't but really this is Loleatta reviewing the singles. Why suspect, kind sir???
    Hi Boogienights .
    I was also wondering - Lolleatta's by-line certainly, but maybe written by a staffer. The prose seems very much in the style of other reviews of the period ......
    Just a thought .

Quote Originally Written by The Disco Dentist View Post
    Hi Boogienights .
    I was also wondering - Lolleatta's by-line certainly, but maybe written by a staffer. The prose seems very much in the style of other reviews of the period ......
    Just a thought .
    Yeah probably. Don't trust everything you read I guess. I just wrote what was in the magazine

Yeah, I doubt if Loleatta really wrote those reviews herself. Agree a staff writer wrote them and she allowed them to use her name. But they are fun to read and quite in line with my thinking although "The Greatest Show On Earth" you can bet, would most definitely get a 5 out of 5 from me.

Quote Originally Written by The Disco Dentist View Post
    Hi Boogienights .
    The prose seems very much in the style of other reviews of the period ......
    Just a thought .
    but not so much in the style of other reviews of the period but exactly in the style of blues and soul i read and own every issue from 68 to date, if i found those reviews on the moon id know they were written by blues and soul!

remicks is offline Double Platinum Record [Level 9]

of course I had no doubts boogienights that you were posting a legit review from BLUES & SOUL , and thanks for the bother because its interesting !!!
    I'm still getting a kick out of picturing Loleatta Holloway sitting at a desk with a record player surrounded by piles of new disco releases , playing them one by one , and jotting down her impromptu impressions of each of them !!! lol!!~

I still recall the thrill -
    I guess I always will

remicks i dont believe she wrote those views at all, but im not saying she was no part of it at all, i dont believe they lied blues and soul was an honest mag they never had a bad word to say about anyone they just cared about the music,she probibly did listen to them and said i like that i dont like that etc, but write the reviews no.

Quote Originally Written by remicks View Post
    of course I had no doubts boogienights that you were posting a legit review from BLUES & SOUL , and thanks for the bother because its interesting !!!
    I'm still getting a kick out of picturing Loleatta Holloway sitting at a desk with a record player surrounded by piles of new disco releases , playing them one by one , and jotting down her impromptu impressions of each of them !!! lol!!~

Yes it is an amusing vision. I agree with most of her choices. I haven't heard Metropolis "Greatest Show" but I have heard "I Love New York" and that record didn't wow me. I am swamped with music at the moment though, feeling a little sick this morning so am having a 'stay in' day and listening to the Sister Sledge 5cd set I bought for 20 dollars. am pleasantly surprised at how many I am enjoying. prob getting off topic though as usual :)

Here's the best copy I could find on the Tube...a little scratchy but

Tom Moulton & the Sweethearts of Sigma Sound meet Pete Bellotte + Thor Baldursson & The Munich Machine here:

http://www.discogs.com/Metropolis-5-...elease/1441002

Last edited by markydefad; April 24th, 2012 at 02:50 AM.

Permissions