Page 2 of 90 FirstFirst 123456781252 ... LastLast

Thread: Disco 1000 Song Countdown

Re: Disco 1000

And happily, Walt now is the creator of the music of my fav show "Family Guy"! BTW I love his theme.
    Join D I S C O M A D N E S S on FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/groups/303583563027591/

Quote Originally Written by Funkin Dunc View Post
    #999 A FIFTH OF BEETHOVEN - WALTER MURPHY & THE BIG APPLE BAND
    I don't believe that a 12" was ever released although the subsequent LP may have contained a full-length version.
    "Rhapsody in blue" was the first 12" on the Private Stock label "A Fifth of Beethoven" was actually the b-side. Rhapsody in blue / A Fifth of Beethoven (Private Stock 12" PS 5100, 1976)

Quote Originally Written by the disco kid View Post
    "Rhapsody in blue" was the first 12" on the Private Stock label "A Fifth of Beethoven" was actually the b-side. Rhapsody in blue / A Fifth of Beethoven (Private Stock 12" PS 5100, 1976)
    Still only the 3-minute version though. :)

Most interesting. The 7" originally released Stateside was A Fifth of Beethoven b/w California Strut. Was the 12" with AFOB on the 'B' side released later? The US LP 'A Fifth of Beethoven' which was released in 76 contained California Strut but I don't think Rhapsody In Blue was on that album. I stand to be corrected.
    PIR is a way of life

Man, it's so easy to start on a playlist of the kinds of virtuosic records that were the steady diet of DJs and dancers in the club era.

Vince Aletti sounded like he thought this was going to be a career smash for Natalie Cole, and it sort of was. Ella Fitzgerald apparently thought "Mr. Paganini" was a stupid little novelty, but jeez, it took a lot of music to make that little ditty, and this one, too:

And then we come to disco's equivalent of "Moody's Mood for Love," where gifted jazz and stage singer Vicki Sue Robinson arranged and sang the background vocals and then cut the lead vocal track completely free, as a compelling, improvised contrapuntal jam with the band, here calling out to each player in the style of Booker T. & the MGs' "Mermphis Soul Stew," Sly's "Dance to the Music" and for that matter, Munich Machine's "Get on the Funk Train."

No wonder we have been able to live with these records all these years. The content and musical merit held decades of nourishment for the listener. Good, and good for you.

The only list longer than the Disco 1000 itself would be the bad raps disco got over the years.
    Last edited by skiddlybop; April 17th, 2012 at 09:08 AM. Reason: more second thoughts
    skiddly bop doo wow! (Billy Paul) Wake up and live! (Debbie Allen)
    Bow-chick-a-bow, chick-a-bow-wow-wow!(Hugh Roy)
    Pray like it's all up to God, work like it's all up to you.
    The only people you need to get even with are the ones who helped you.(Patti LaBelle)
    When life hands you lemons, marinate the chicken.(Anne Burrell)

As a former DJ, never played A Fifth of Beethoven (It was too Radio). The gem was California Strut. That song packed the floor.
    L.A. The Other Side Of Disco

Quote Originally Written by mrbmarco View Post
    As a former DJ, never played A Fifth of Beethoven (It was too Radio). The gem was California Strut. That song packed the floor.
    I love both of those mrbmarco :)
    Join D I S C O M A D N E S S on FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/groups/303583563027591/

#998 LOS CONQUISTADORES CHOCOLATES - JOHNNY HAMMOND
    Jazz organist Johnny Hammond had been recording since the 1950s. With many Jazz musicians experimenting in the world of Fusion - or Jazz-Funk as it was known in the UK - Hammond followed suit and in 1975 he released this track. It wasn't picked up immediately by DJ's but by February 1976 some of the more eclectic Jocks were giving it plenty of spins, and it was especially popular at The Loft as well as some of the UK's more discerning venues.
    Listen to this and you will hear where Jamiroquai drew some of his inspiration. Uptempo and with great musicianship Chuck Rainey on bass and especially Harvey Mason on the drums still the show. The full length album version was the preferred version despite its tricky intro, although Milestone did release the track as an edited down 7".

Last edited by Bernie; April 18th, 2012 at 06:59 PM.
    PIR is a way of life

[QUOTE=Funkin Dunc;187984]#998 LOS CONQUISTADORES CHOCOLATES - JOHNNY HAMMOND
    Jazz organist Johnny Hammond had been recording since the 1950s. With many Jazz musicians experimenting in the world of Fusion - or Jazz-Funk as it was known in the UK - Hammond followed suit and in 1975 he released this track. It wasn't picked up immediately by DJ's but by February 1976 some of the more eclectic Jocks were giving it plenty of spins, and it was especially popular at The Loft as well as some of the UK's more discerning venues.
    Listen to this and you will hear where Jamiroquai drew some of his inspiration. Uptempo and with great musicianship Chuck Rainey on bass and especially Harvey Mason on the drums still the show. The full length album version was the preferred version despite its tricky intro, although Milestone did release the track as an edited down 7".http://youtube.com/watch?v=r_oPDKFmJ_Y
    [/Q
    Of course that should have read 'Steal the show'!
    PIR is a way of life

#997 GO WEST - VILLAGE PEOPLE
    Probably not VP's finest moment but great fun nonetheless. Lapped up by the white middle-class suburbanites who didn't get the irony!
    The 7" ran at a little over 3 minutes, the album version was 4:10 and a 12" ran at six minutes long.

Last edited by Bernie; April 19th, 2012 at 05:46 AM. Reason: embed video
    PIR is a way of life

#996 PUMP IT UP - FEVER

Fantasy Records were responsible for some great moments in Disco Music history (hello Sylvester). This cut is the flip side to Fever's popular Beat of the Night and is a funky, piano driven slab of Disco with female vocals and a fine track in its own right. Patrick Cowley features on synthesizer.
    Last edited by Bernie; July 16th, 2012 at 10:54 AM. Reason: fixed bad video embed
    PIR is a way of life

#995 FANCY DANCER - GREGG DIAMOND'S STARCRUISER

In an earlier post I mentioned that a Bionic Boogie track was coming up when, in fact, this is actually taken from Gregg Diamond's Starcruiser album in 1978. Listening to this makes me realise why I fell in love with Disco in the first place. Absolutely gorgeous. Sweet strings, cool female vocals, understated guitar licks, perfect music for hot days and even hotter nights. Enjoy!

Last edited by Bernie; July 16th, 2012 at 10:58 AM. Reason: fixed bad video embed
    PIR is a way of life

[QUOTE=Funkin Dunc;187985][QUOTE=Funkin Dunc;187984]#998 LOS CONQUISTADORES CHOCOLATES - JOHNNY HAMMOND
    QUOTE]

Now why in the the world a 12" version of this masterpeice was never released back in the day is beyond me! I ache for this song, and fondly remember hearing it everywhere in Chicago.

#998 LOS CONQUISTADORES CHOCOLATES - JOHNNY HAMMOND
    QUOTE]

Now why in the the world a 12" version of this masterpeice was never released back in the day is beyond me! I ache for this song, and fondly remember hearing it everywhere in Chicago.
    There was !! An 8:54 Victor Rosado mix, with the album version on the B-side.
    DD

Johnny Hammond.jpg

unfortunately that's a reissue/bootleg and was not available BITD.
    as far as I know the Fantasy label never released it as a 12" promo or otherwise.
    Last edited by the disco kid; April 20th, 2012 at 07:33 PM.

Page 2 of 90 FirstFirst 123456781252 ... LastLast

Permissions

vagrant-critical