Find a song, artist, record...
    remicks is offline Double Platinum Record [Level 9]

Paul Revere And The Raiders, A Disco Connection

and perhaps the only one (????)

- especially since the rapidly changing membership of the group had finally all but dissolved by disco year 1975.
    The group has a great story behind it , built from a friendship of two young fellows from Idaho- Paul Revere and lead singer Mark Lindsay .

Here's a piece of wiki's storyline on them:

In 1965, The Raiders began recording a string of garage rock classics. Under the guidance of producer Terry Melcher, the group relocated to Los Angeles and increasingly emulated the sounds of British Invasion bands such as The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Dave Clark Five, and The Animals, albeit with an American, R&B feel. Their second major national hit, "Just Like Me" (No. 11, 1965) was one of the first rock records to feature a distinctive, double-tracked guitar solo (by guitarist Drake Levin).[2]

The band appeared regularly on national television, most notably on Dick Clark's Where the Action Is, Happening '68, and It's Happening, the latter two of which were co-hosted by Revere and Lindsay. Here they were presented as an American response to the British Invasion. Playing on Revere's name, the group wore American Revolutionary War soldier uniforms, and performed slapstick comedy and synchronized dance steps while the ponytailed Lindsay lip synched to their music. This farcical, cartoonish image obscured the proto-hard rock sound that their music often took
    JUST LIKE ME

Everyone knows their one No 1 single : INDIAN RESERVATION ::

The Raiders's biggest hit of the period, "Indian Reservation", was recorded as a Mark Lindsay solo session[citation needed]. Some sources erroneously credit the lead vocals to Weller, who had recorded a cover version of The Cowsills's hit "Indian Lake" around the same time, hence the confusion. As a promotional gambit, Revere took the unusual step of riding cross-country a total of four times, plugging the song at every market available. His efforts paid off: "Indian Reservation" peaked at No. 1 for one week in July 1971 .[14] Paul Revere: "I called the head of Columbia's promotion and told him I was going on a record promotion trip, which was something artists didn't do anymore."[2] "Indian Reservation" became Columbia's biggest-selling single for almost a decade, clearing over six million units.
    INDIAN RESERVATION

Anyway I found one particular disco connection to this group .... it's a surprising one too.

So, anyone else out there aware of what I 'm on about??

I still recall the thrill -
    I guess I always will

Re: Paul Revere And The Raiders, A Disco Connection

Carl Driggs took over as lead singer of Paul Revere and the Raiders, but before that he also co-wrote Get Off and performed with Foxy.
    "Because there's music in the air."

Quote Originally Written by FranceJoliFan View Post
    Carl Driggs took over as lead singer of Paul Revere and the Raiders, but before that he also co-wrote Get Off and performed with Foxy.
    well that's a surprising one too FJF !! Not the one I have in mind, but a good valid one nonetheless. Thanks!

Hmmm look at all the members of this band over the years;

Probably a good number of them did something disco at one time or another .

So, let me narrow my disco connection specifically to those of the original core group , the main players of Paul Revere & The Raiders of the sixties.

here's a clue. This song .

KICKS

Yes it seems vague , but!,
    it could trigger someone's recollection of the specifics I'm after .

Last edited by remicks; April 14th, 2012 at 03:40 AM.

I guess I always will

Then it would have to be Mark Lindsay co-writing and co-producing the Original Mass gem Disco Kicks:

"Because there's music in the air."

....and who also produced Cake's disco version of the "Theme From Mork And Mindy". Waaaayyyy too long at 6 mins+ and, mercifully, not available on Youtube.
    Last edited by The Disco Dentist; April 16th, 2012 at 10:54 AM.

Quote Originally Written by FranceJoliFan View Post
    Then it would have to be Mark Lindsay co-writing and co-producing the Original Mass gem Disco Kicks:

YES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and isn't it one of the oddest things of all things disco ???????????

Mark Lindsay basically goes musically AWOL in the early seventies and remains so through most the decade

(before that , here he is in 1969 being a right-winged poobah in the middle of the hippy era (well he is from Idaho) :

so :

disco year 1974 --- no Mark Lindsay
    disco year 1975 --- no Mark Lindsay
    disco year 1976 --- no Mark Lindsay
    disco year 1977 --- no Mark Lindsay
    disco year 1978 --- no Mark Lindsay
    disco year 1979 --- no Mark Lindsay (except producing Cake's MORK & MINDY)
    disco year 1980 --- no Mark Lindsay

then in disco year 1981 --- there's Mark Lindsay !!
    Finally, all of a sudden, out of nowhere, Mark Lindsay decides to both write and produce a record , a DISCO record ! with Perry Botkin Jr.

!!!???!!!??? !!!??

Would LOVE to know the story behind that !!

I guess I always will

Permissions