Thread: In unabashed love with "Fame" by Grace JonesQW

In unabashed love with "Fame" by Grace JonesQW

I knew Gold Legion were releasing "Fame" and "Muse " by Grace Jones, but the posts on here had and have convinced me to NEVER order off their site. However a certain spunky member from Canada, you Know you are are, told me about them being on Amazon and I ordered "Fame" and "Rough Diamond"...well, I am in love with "Fame". Let me tell you a bit about my experience with Grace.

So it's 2001, my last year of high school and I am highly attracted to pop stars of the eighties who were outrageous: Dead Or Alive, Prince, Divine, Grace. I buy "I'm Not Perfect But I'm Perfect For You" on 12" for one dollar at a local book store. My mum (who thinks Grace is disgusting!_ buys me the Compass Point Sessions disc for my seventeenth birthday. It has some good numbers that I loved at the time but I didn't know about Graces disco magic...it takes a few years before I um, "borrow" Jussi and Alan's book that details the trilogy of Grace's disco albums that are a must have....later that year, a cheap cd store opens up and I find "Portfolio" for ten dollars...interesting I think. Heavily influenced by the DM.com top 500 list, I wonder why "La Vie En Rose" isn't impacting me as much as it should, however one night on ecstasy I really am in ecstasy to the whole album. These days, I appreciate the album, and I understand it is because of Tom Moulton, the production and such, whilst still acknowledging Grace's unusual, yet appealing, voice. I particularly love "Sorry" and "Thats The Trouble" which of course became low charting POP hits in America.

Fast foward. I have sporadic interest in Grace as the "Portfolio" album occasionally grabs my attention. I KNOW that I love John Davis. I know I love the Sweethearts of Sigma. Vince Aletti has raved about it in his "Disco Files" book. I order it. It takes a few listens but I am HOOKED. The opening medley of "Do Or Die, Pride (a particular fav), and "Fame" are brilliant, and I have even taken to the other tracks particularly "All On A Summers Night" and "Below The Belt". It is weird, cos I remember watching "Do Or Die" on youtube a couple of years ago and thinking...what is all the fuss about? I think we need a few times listening to songs to decide whether we like them or not. Some you know you hate straight away, but others you need to do a Boris Midney and Carress them...I am very happy with this album and it has brought me a lot of pleasure and I can't wait to order "Muse".

But it has to be said, it's the amazing strings, percussion, background vocs, and overall MELODY that has me hooked on it, so maybe more props are to John Davis and the Sweethearts...but I like Grace's voice in this concoction. So I wanted to share my current joy with this album. And as usual, all comments welcome
    Last edited by Bernie; April 13th, 2012 at 05:20 AM. Reason: url
    Join D I S C O M A D N E S S on FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/groups/303583563027591/

Re: In unabashed love with "Fame" by Grace JonesQW

I've always considered Grace Jones one of the most individual and highly stylized performers of all time. I often think that if she'd performed more mainstream R & B and funk she probably would have had more commercial success on the pop and R & B charts but I love her songs just fine they way they are. But I have to admit I'm very confused about the recent posts here on which people talk about the excitement of new CD releases. Does this mean digitizing music is not as popular as I thought it was? In Northern California where I live, CDs are pretty much things of the past. I just might have understood the excitement if some of my personal favorites were being released on CD but I've given up hope of that ever happening, and then there's the additional problem of the companies that releases some of these CDs not always being dependable or having high standards when it comes to quality. 4/12/2012

SanDee is offline Double Platinum Record [Level 9]

I frequently play 'Am I Ever Gonna Fall In Love In New York City'. 'Muse' is my fave of her 70s disco trilogy mainly for 'On Your Knees' - disco perfection (co-written by DC Larue, produced by Tom Moulton, managed by Bob Caviano & sleeve artwork by Richard Bernstein - all gay men!)
    They Only Come Out At Night.......
    My heart is in the cause of the uncommon man.

Quote Originally Written by Cory Ander View Post
    I've always considered Grace Jones one of the most individual and highly stylized performers of all time. I often think that if she'd performed more mainstream R & B and funk she probably would have had more commercial success on the pop and R & B charts but I love her songs just fine they way they are. But I have to admit I'm very confused about the recent posts here on which people talk about the excitement of new CD releases. Does this mean digitizing music is not as popular as I thought it was? In Northern California where I live, CDs are pretty much things of the past. I just might have understood the excitement if some of my personal favorites were being released on CD but I've given up hope of that ever happening, and then there's the additional problem of the companies that releases some of these CDs not always being dependable or having high standards when it comes to quality. 4/12/2012
    I'm sorry Cory, but I am confused by your post. Here are the points I DO agree with you on: she is definitely individual and gutsy; I admire that, I put her in a class with Sylvester in that regard. As you know, if you have read the Joshua Gamson bio on Sylvester, after disco "died", he had many stuggles with his label of what to do with him....but he had one of his biggest successes with "Do You Wanna Funk" in 82. Of course, chart wise, Grace took off AFTER the disco albums. "Nightclubbing" made 32 on the US pop charts and was a darling in films and Uk charts. But I am no longer interested in that. I am interested in her disco albums: "Portfolio" 1977; "Fame" 1978; "Muse" 1979.

Your quote "I'm very confused about the recent posts here on which people talk about the excitement of new CD releases. Does this mean digitizing music is not as popular as I thought it was? In Northern California where I live, CDs are pretty much things of the past. I just might have understood the excitement if some of my personal favorites were being released on CD but I've given up hope of that ever happening, and then there's the additional problem of the companies that releases some of these CDs not always being dependable or having high standards when it comes to quality"

is confusing to me as I, as I am sure I am not the only one who is delighted to see disco albums given the treatment they deserve: nice liner notes, and to my ears, great quality sound of songs I thought I could never own. I am in Australia; sadly the days of when I was a boy and used to write the top fifty chart down in my notebooks (unaware there was an actual ARIA chart!) are over. It is also confusing when you say some of your personal favourites may not be released on cd. "Muse" by Grace Jones has never been on cd. I'm sure there are many a clubber, or fan like myself that appreciate it being on cd. If you are talking about ITunes or whatever, that is not exciting to me. I like my copy of a disc, with liner notes, I have been buying cassettes since I was a boy in 92....on another note, what is it that you are so desperately wanting on cd you think you will never have...and I think the quality of "Fame" is great.???
    Join D I S C O M A D N E S S on FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/groups/303583563027591/

Quote Originally Written by SandraDee View Post
    I frequently play 'Am I Ever Gonna Fall In Love In New York City'. 'Muse' is my fave of her 70s disco trilogy mainly for 'On Your Knees' - disco perfection (co-written by DC Larue, produced by Tom Moulton, managed by Bob Caviano & sleeve artwork by Richard Bernstein - all gay men!)
    S.D. If we are ever in the same city...we'll start the evening off with Grace Jones. And then we will party, son!

remicks is offline Double Platinum Record [Level 9]

Thanks for sharing your Grace Jones time-line BN . Interesting how we progress in our discoveries, knowledge. I love Grace's disco product.

Here's one of my favorite little Grace Jones moments.

I'm newly working at Odyssey Records in the heart of the bustling financial district of San Francisco (so exciting!) . We have big picture windows deliberately used to catch the attention of the sidewalk's passersbys with displays using the latest music. We had set rows where we inserted 2 artists' actual albums that related somehow (usually color wise) to create some sort of pattern or visual affect .

It was my good fortune that on my first (?) turn at said display Millie Jackson and Grace Jones latest albums came out with a particular similarity. .

I repeated their albums in a checkerboard pattern based on this :

I remember when the store chain's owner ,Richard Bullock, dropped in he stopped and asked who did that display. I never heard if that was a good thing (!!) , but nonetheless , I got his attention!

Last edited by remicks; July 29th, 2012 at 07:38 PM.

I still recall the thrill -
    I guess I always will

discodevil is offline Underground Hit [Level 5]

Love Disco Grace, as you said boogienights

"I am sure I am not the only one who is delighted to see disco albums given the treatment they deserve: nice liner notes, and to my ears, great quality sound of songs I thought I could never own."

My feeling is don't forget the fabulous photos & artwork, that is half the reason why I love Vinyl records as well as CD's.

The album covers, artwork, photo, liner notes and of course to have it in hand is a great thing. (Is that a man thing?)

P.S I thought Muse was on CD.

Here's my Grace Moment, from Stockholm's Circus in 2009. I was pushed to the stage to dance in the presence of Grace Herself, at one point literally in direct body contact with the Diva. Her body was that of a 17 year old girl only with more muscles, firm, statuesque and flawless. Not a wrinkle on her face either. A Goddess. - I'm about the 5th person bouncing foward at c 3.15.

The 2nd vid presents more clearly the essence of Grace-ness which, according to world's leading style magazine Monocle, is absolutely unique. The magazine said last year that Grace Jones is the world's number one entertainer.
    Amen.

Get both the Hurricane cd and the Hurricane Dub one too.

Quote Originally Written by remicks View Post

Thanks for sharing your Grace Jones time-line BN . Interesting how we progress in our discoveries, knowledge. I love Grace's disco product.

Here's one of my favorite little Grace Jones moments.

I'm newly working at Odyssey Records in the heart of the bustling financial district of San Francisco (so exciting!) . We have big picture windows deliberately used to catch the attention of the sidewalk's passersbys with displays using the latest music. We had set rows where we inserted 2 artists' actual albums that related somehow (usually color wise) to create some sort of pattern or visual affect .

It was my good fortune that on my first (?) turn at said display Millie Jackson and Grace Jones latest albums came out with a particular similarity. .

I repeated their albums in a checkerboard pattern based on this :

I remember when the store chain's owner ,Richard Bullock, dropped in he stopped and asked who did that display. I never heard if that was a good thing (!!) , but nonetheless , I got his attention!

LOVE THIS! sounds like you did a marvellous job!

Quote Originally Written by discodevil View Post
    Love Disco Grace, as you said boogienights

"I am sure I am not the only one who is delighted to see disco albums given the treatment they deserve: nice liner notes, and to my ears, great quality sound of songs I thought I could never own."

My feeling is don't forget the fabulous photos & artwork, that is half the reason why I love Vinyl records as well as CD's.

The album covers, artwork, photo, liner notes and of course to have it in hand is a great thing. (Is that a man thing?)

P.S I thought Muse was on CD.
    "Muse" has just been released on cd by Gold Legion, the first time ever. I will get it soon. A man thing....maybe, though since some of the oversensitive pc police are back in discotown maybe it's wise to refrain from remarks like that.....speaking of Millie Jackson's "Feelin Bitchy"....:)

I love Grace's Fame album; the three-song medley "Do Or Die/Pride/Fame" is brilliant, with "Pride" being my favorite of the three. But Side 2 is not to be missed, either; "All On A Summer's Night" is just the perfect disco song; the melody is sweet and the "swept away" lyrics complement it wonderfully. I also like "Below The Belt" too. I'm definitely a Disco Grace boy, although I did like her 1985 album Slave To The Rhythm.

Permissions

vagrant-critical