Find a song, artist, record...

Question USB Turntable Question (Software)

I have a Numark TTUSB turntable that came with ripping software. I've had the turntable for a few years. Showing a bit of technical ignorance...the software it came with has a feature where it counts down the number of hours left (that's what I'll call it) for recording/transferring music to mp3. The amount is now somewhere just under/over 100 hours. Can anyone tell me what happens when this winds down to 0? Does that mean I can't use the turntable anymore, or do I have to get new or updated software? I don't quite understand this. I've read the user manual and I recall it says something about it saying that I'll still be able to use the turntable even when the software goes down to zero? Will I still be able to transfer records to MP3s?

Re: USB Turntable Question (Software)

I'm guessing that number refers to the amount of free space remaining on your hard drive.

that's quite puzzling...I have a very similar turntable but I use the free "EZ Vinyl Tape Converter" software and it has no limits on its use that I'm aware of. I've forgotten what kind of software came with the turntable but I do remember that when the software was "updated" I temporarily had some kind of problem with the updated version so I decided to stop using it altogether. 2/20/2012

Quote Originally Written by BrunoRepublic View Post
    I'm guessing that number refers to the amount of free space remaining on your hard drive.
    Nope don't think so. It specifically says "hours" and I store all my converted music on 750GB external hard-drive and when I last checked, it had something like 25% +/- used.

Quote Originally Written by Cory Ander View Post
    that's quite puzzling...I have a very similar turntable but I use the free "EZ Vinyl Tape Converter" software and it has no limits on its use that I'm aware of. I've forgotten what kind of software came with the turntable but I do remember that when the software was "updated" I temporarily had some kind of problem with the updated version so I decided to stop using it altogether. 2/20/2012
    I can't recall offhand as I'm at work. I'll check when I get home and post the info here later.

Quote Originally Written by Cdnbob View Post
    Nope don't think so. It specifically says "hours" and I store all my converted music on 750GB external hard-drive and when I last checked, it had something like 25% +/- used.
    When I record anything in Adobe Audition, it tells me the number of hours remaining as allowed by remaining hard drive space, and it factors in external drives.

Then again, I haven't used your setup. Maybe the program deletes itself and wipes your hard drive after so many hours. Or locks up your computer and demands a huge payment. It seems very strange that if a product has a time restriction it would be so long, but I have no idea what they include with USB turntables, so if it really does that, I suppose anything is possible.

discodevil is offline Underground Hit [Level 5]

Is it to let you know if you should change your stylus?

Okay, I'm sitting in front of my pc and the program the turntable came with is called Audacity. I opened up the program and set it up to transfer a track to mp3 and in the bottom left corner it says, "Recording Time Available: 144 hours and 11 minutes".

audacity.jpg

Audacity, like Audition, gives you that figure based on the amount of space left on your drive(s).

Audacity, like Audition, gives you that figure based on the amount of space left on your drive(s).
    Ah I see... so when its at "0" that would mean your drive is full then. I get it. Thanks. :)

I suspected they'd include Audacity with the turntable, since it's free.

I suspected they'd include Audacity with the turntable, since it's free.
    Yep they did. It came with the turntable.

please forgive me if this question sounds naive as I don't know much about computers but may I ask why so many people store music on their hard drives anyway? After I've recorded music I like, I put it into iTunes' library, make back up compilation CDs (for recordings I plan on selling, not keeping), put it into my iPod and then delete it from my hard drive because I THOUGHT that the more information on your hard drive, the slower your computer runs and was more prone to crashes.

You say you don't keep music on your hard drive? Well where do you think it goes when you add it to your iTunes library?

More files on your hard drive doesn't necessarily slow down your computer. It depends on what kind of files and how much free space you have. If you keep them on an external or secondary drive, it shouldn't be a factor at all.

If you're "backing up" to audio CDs, well... those are notoriously unreliable. I've stopped using them completely. CDs were never intended to be recordable, and it's quite amazing that we can burn our own audio CDs at all. Data CDRs are somewhat better (much more robust error correction than audio CDRs) but still prone to failure.

Exactly as Bruno says. For example I store all my mp3s on an external hard-drive. My iTunes accesses that hard-drive and basically everything that's on that hard-drive is part of my iTunes music library. When I plug my iPod into my PC, it updates it, and then I either just charge my iPod through the PC or if I want to update or change the music on the iPod, I create new playlists and add them to my iPod by re-sync'ing the iPod, which is probably the same as you do Cory. I burn mp3s to cdr's and to date, I've not yet - cross fingers - had a problem with them playing months or years down the line.

Permissions