Thread: Natalie Cole Disco Discovery

remicks is offline Double Platinum Record [Level 9]

Natalie Cole Disco Discovery

Just came upon a lost -in-the-glut of '79 disco song by Natalie Cole .

But first, I thought I'd share a little Natalie Cole experience of mine I just reminded myself of. When I was DJing at the Zephyr club in Oakland (1978) , disco DJs were invited through the record pool to a "meet and greet" with Natalie Cole prior to her performance at The Circle Star Theater. One of those usual things where you sample cheese and sip on punch while they play her latest album. . Then Natalie sat at a table and proceeded to sign autographs onto 9" x 11" photos of herself.
    When it was my turn I asked her to sign mine " To My #1 DJ " ( what nerve!!! lol !). She didn't raise an eyebrow and obliged me , signing it just that way. Most kind of her ! Anyway, we framed it and had it on the wall in the entry part of the club.

But unfortunately,
    Natalie Cole's earlier participation in the disco scene was to me , at most "disco-lite" ... . For my taste, her jazzier style wasn't right for club play - just not enough dance floor conviction.

So,
    this is kind of a delightful discovery . This is authentic four-on-the-floor disco :

I LOVE YOU SO

After playing it multiple times ....dare I say ... I LOVE IT !!!

But, in 1979 , offering it as just an album cut ......... & no 12" version ??!!
    SHAME ON YOU Capitol Records .
    I LOVE YOU SO sorely needed an extended remix treatment with breaks and such standard for 1979 disco hits.

Very odd too that they didn't want to commit to giving this disco song that extra push - they must have had some faith in the song : it was the title cut to her album.

I'm thinking : Mix it into Marlena Shaw's TOUCH ME IN THE MORNING. Other ideas??
    ( another: PICK ME UP I'll DANCE - Melba Moore ???)
    Last edited by remicks; February 13th, 2012 at 11:06 PM.

I still recall the thrill -
    I guess I always will

SanDee is offline Double Platinum Record [Level 9]

Re: Natalie Cole Disco Discovery

That is a rather classy track remmy - good discovery! Was its release late in '79? I don't recall it at all. So much better than 'Party Lights' from '77 which often gets cited as her best attempt at disco.
    They Only Come Out At Night.......
    My heart is in the cause of the uncommon man.

I love Natalie Cole, saw her live many years ago, but I don't think she ever really did a true disco song, well in my own opinion. I know there were the dance remixes of "Pink Cadillac" and "Dangerous" but those were in the mid-80s and more dance than true disco.

Quote Originally Written by remicks View Post

Just came upon a lost -in-the-glut of '79 disco song by Natalie Cole .

But first, I thought I'd share a little Natalie Cole experience of mine I just reminded myself of. When I was DJing at the Zephyr club in Oakland (1978) , disco DJs were invited through the record pool to a "meet and greet" with Natalie Cole prior to her performance at The Circle Star Theater. One of those usual things where you sample cheese and sip on punch while they play her latest album. . Then Natalie sat at a table and proceeded to sign autographs onto 9" x 11" photos of herself.
    When it was my turn I asked her to sign mine " To My #1 DJ " ( what nerve!!! lol !). She didn't raise an eyebrow and obliged me , signing it just that way. Most kind of her ! Anyway, we framed it and had it on the wall in the entry part of the club.

But unfortunately,
    Natalie Cole's earlier participation in the disco scene was to me , at most "disco-lite" ... . For my taste, her jazzier style wasn't right for club play - just not enough dance floor conviction.

So,
    this is kind of a delightful discovery . This is authentic four-on-the-floor disco :

I LOVE YOU SO

After playing it multiple times ....dare I say ... I LOVE IT !!!

But, in 1979 , offering it as just an album cut ......... & no 12" version ??!!
    SHAME ON YOU Capitol Records .
    I LOVE YOU SO sorely needed an extended remix treatment with breaks and such standard for 1979 disco hits.

Very odd too that they didn't want to commit to giving this disco song that extra push - they must have had some faith in the song : it was the title cut to her album.

I'm thinking : Mix it into Marlena Shaw's TOUCH ME IN THE MORNING. Other ideas??
    ( another: PICK ME UP I'll DANCE - Melba Moore ???)

Perhaps I can shed some light on this. From the Blues and Soul April 24 - May 7, 1979 edition:

Interviewer: The logical place to start is with the new album "I Love You So"..."Stand By" is the disco-ish one that is released as a single right?

NC: Well, there are three uptempo ones but the remix of "Stand By" makes it sound a lot more disco to me.

continues about her album and jazzy leanings and then

Interviewer: You have deliberately avoided getting into 'disco' as such?

NC: Yes, I have always said that - and I lied! Because the opening song on the album is all the way disco. In fact, there are three tunes on the album that could, I guess, be called 'disco'.

Interviewer: Thats the first time. Can I ask why?

NC: Well, I refused to let them do that disco rhythm and as long as they didn't do that, I said it was O.K. And, I liked the songs too. They seem to be a little more classy than the average disco songs. So many of them are corny to me - almost foolish. And as an artist, I think that my material reflects my taste. Maybe if I was a musician I wouldn't care so much.

Scrolling down...

Interviewer: Do you consider yourself to be an R and B singer?
    NC: No, I have never considered myself to be an R and B singer. But I do consider myself to be a soul singer.

Interviewer: Is there that much difference?
    NC: In the music business, I guess there isn't. Because soul has come to mean R and B. But to me, soul means heart. - and I am a heart singer. I am dedicated to my profession and I don't really catergorise what I am singing. Whatever I like, I sing. Except for disco!

Interviewer: So, if they were to release a 12" disco disc on you, it would be the kiss of death?
    NC:Who did that? I'll kill 'em!!!!

So perhaps that explains it??? :)
    Join D I S C O M A D N E S S on FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/groups/303583563027591/

Hey Remicks! I'm surprised you don't remember the big Natalie Cole Birthday party fiasco at the Troc when the "I Love You So" album was about to be released. That was the party where the buzz around the City was that Donna Summer was going to perform. That buzz grew to a frenzy when Herb Caen mentioned it in his column. All of my friends decided then and there to get tickets.

From the big crowd in the club that night, lots of other people read Herb's column and all of us anxiously awaited Donna to come on stage, and we waited and waited and waited. We could see there was a big private party going on upstairs, which we assumed was Natalie and her guests. So, everybody was hopeful but Donna never showed up on the stage. Don't even know if she showed up for the party. Natalie did take to the stage to perform 3 numbers from the album - the title track, "Stand By" and "Oh Daddy," they sounded fantastic on Troc's sound system and I knew I had to have the album. However, many people were very upset that Donna didn't show up.

Does this party now sound familiar???

remicks is offline Double Platinum Record [Level 9]

Quote Originally Written by keefelc View Post
    Hey Remicks! I'm surprised you don't remember the big Natalie Cole Birthday party fiasco at the Troc when the "I Love You So" album was about to be released. That was the party where the buzz around the City was that Donna Summer was going to perform. That buzz grew to a frenzy when Herb Caen mentioned it in his column. All of my friends decided then and there to get tickets.

From the big crowd in the club that night, lots of other people read Herb's column and all of us anxiously awaited Donna to come on stage, and we waited and waited and waited. We could see there was a big private party going on upstairs, which we assumed was Natalie and her guests. So, everybody was hopeful but Donna never showed up on the stage. Don't even know if she showed up for the party. Natalie did take to the stage to perform 3 numbers from the album - the title track, "Stand By" and "Oh Daddy," they sounded fantastic on Troc's sound system and I knew I had to have the album. However, many people were very upset that Donna didn't show up.

Does this party now sound familiar???
    No Keefe , I missed it , was in Hawaii in 1979 . But I'm much impressed by your precise recollecting - down to the songs she performed . Herb Caen was a must read each day for me ... his three dot journalism ... really affected me !!

I'm surprised Natalie didn't perform the third of the three disco songs she mentions in the interview boogienights posted (thanks boogienights , I have more thoughts around that ..... next post!!)

The song is YOU'RE SO GOOD , where she tries to "Bee Gee".

A sample can be heard here:

YOU'RE NO GOOD SAMPLE

I still recall the thrill -
    I guess I always will

Permissions

vagrant-critical