Find a song, artist, record...
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    needlefingers is offline Platinum Record [Level 8]

Remembering Don Cornelius

Don passed away today...

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/02/ar...5.html?_r=1&hp

Photos

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...lery-1.1015178

Thanks for bringing funk, soul and disco to the masses.

RIP

Re: Remembering Don Cornelius

Quote Originally Written by needlefingers View Post
    Don passed away today...

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/02/ar...5.html?_r=1&hp

Photos

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...lery-1.1015178

Thanks for bringing funk, soul and disco to the masses.

RIP

Sad. Here he is introducing Peaches and Herb (its funny) before they break into their hit "Shake Your Groove Thing"...

Join D I S C O M A D N E S S on FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/groups/303583563027591/

DannyBoy is offline Underground Hit [Level 5]

All my early soul influences came from UK Top of the Pops, when clips from Soul Train were shown if the artist was not over here (9 times out of 10). Don wasn't a household name over here, but his show had a major influence. I remember being mesmerised by Aretha and her backing singers doing Rocksteady back in the day. It had a huge impact on me personally. Your shows will never pass away, but RIP Don.

do you mean clips from Soul Train were actually used in another show? I wonder how the clearance for that process was handled considering the tight control Cornelius maintained over Soul Train?

tmob is offline Underground Hit [Level 5]

This news came like a hit to the solar plexus. As a teenager, I was watching "Soul Train" when it was a local Chicago show in black and white, every afternoon on UHF channel 26. It had a budget of -- probably -- $100 or so per show, but if you wanted great music and dancing, it was the only thing on TV to watch.
    Last year, a few complete episodes (down to the "wantu wazuri use Afro Sheen" ads) were run on our cable system. They still hold up, nearly 40 years later. And Don -- well, he definedsoul...except maybe for the one time Mary Wilson got him to dance.

Love, peace and sooooooooooul, Don.

Bernie is offline DiscoMusic.com Owner / Administrator

Don was certainly an institution and will be sorely missed. Always remembered watching Soul Train right after American Bandstand and liked it so much better. Outside of the big cities I would imagine that Soul Train was the only way for white kids to get a dose of black music. RIP Don.
    Bernard Lopez

Owner/publisher of DiscoMusic.com - on the web since 1996.

DiscoMusic.com on Facebook and Google+

remicks is offline Double Platinum Record [Level 9]

can't say I blame Don one iota .

To witness , as he did, the repulsive decline of music from its invigorating heyday:

SHAKE YOUR BOOTY in the 70's

to its current lowest possible form:

SHAKE YOU BOOTY in the trashy here and now

It is just too much to expect a class-act like Don with his incisive perspective to bear .

RIP Don Cornelius.

Total respect.

remicks

Did I say the decline of "music" ?? No , it goes beyond that.

I still recall the thrill -
    I guess I always will

discodevil is offline Underground Hit [Level 5]

Does anyone know if he was in bad health or suffered depression?

Quote Originally Written by Cory Ander View Post
    do you mean clips from Soul Train were actually used in another show? I wonder how the clearance for that process was handled considering the tight control Cornelius maintained over Soul Train?
    Yes, that's exactly what I mean Cory. George McCrae was one of the earliest for me. He got to number one in the UK charts and we were treated to that iconic clip from Don's show. Bernie suggests Soul Train was the only way that white kids outside of the big cities could get a dose of black music. In the UK, the same could probably have been said, only for both white and black kids.

Quote Originally Written by Cory Ander View Post

Clips from Soul Train were used in a British TV series called Solid Soul. If my memory serves, there was even a British version of Soul Train.

Quote Originally Written by buckaroo View Post
    Clips from Soul Train were used in a British TV series called Solid Soul. If my memory serves, there was even a British version of Soul Train.
    Jeffrey Shalamar Daniel introduced the UK Soul Train. It ran for around 30 minutes and usually had a "Soul Train Classic" either side of the commercial break. My favourites from memory were "Car Wash", "Just Be Good To Me" and "Ain't No Stoppin' Us Now". The UK show did have a lot of UK artists. Loose Ends, Haywoode and Total Contrast were regulars from memory, but there were a lot of US acts featured when they were in the country. Don's format crossed the big pond and we had "black" music on tap.

langlang is offline Underground Hit [Level 5]

still cant believe it........ don corneilus was perhaps the coolest brother since the original soul brother number one. and all you really have to say is SOUL TRAIN,no other words needed. and although they were a little tardy in jumping on the hard-core disco bandwagon,lagging behind bandstand just a bit, when they did come aboard,they went full force,even changing the set logo to a huge mirror ball with soul train around it. loved that!! there is a vh-1 special on soul train that is excellent and classic episodes can be found on the centric network so we still get to see the master in action. i hope that what i'm hearing,that he took his life over a woman is not true, because that would be a serious hit to his legacy. but he will always be the man to so many music lovers. i know don is partying in heaven and spreading love,peace and soul!

Videoskooter is offline *** Forum Leader / Moderator ***

Don Cornelius was never a part of my youth, simply because Soul Train wasn't broadcasted over here. I learned about the man and his legendary TV show many years later and yes, we missed something BITD, that's the least I can say. R.I.P.

This was just posted by the Soul Train company:

DBS™ Media & Entertainment ® 81925 München/Deutschland

It's because of Don Cornelius and SOUL TRAIN, that The Whispers, Shalamar, Lakeside, The Sylvers & Dynasty gained National Exposure!!! They were mostly known in California before that.But my most favorite memory of SOUL TRAIN, is when James Brown brought his JB's with him, and had the Entire Show dedicated to him! CLASSIC!!!'NUFF SAID

did very many people know that Cornelius was also a songwriter? He wrote songs on the first Shalamar album. And in the "Best of Soul Train" series, there's a clip of Cornelius dancing!

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Permissions