Thread: Technics said to stop production of SL-1200 turntables in Feb 2010

Bernie is offline DiscoMusic.com Owner / Administrator

Technics said to stop production of SL-1200 turntables in Feb 2010

Not 100% confirmed, but all signs point to Technics putting the famed SL-1200mk2 turntable to rest because of slow sales. Seems like digital mixing solutions keep making inroads.

Technics axe 1200 and 1210 turntables - SlashGear
    Bernard Lopez

Owner/publisher of DiscoMusic.com - on the web since 1996.

DiscoMusic.com on Facebook and Google+

andyy is offline Indie Release [Level 4]

Re: Technics said to stop production of SL-1200 turntables in Feb 2010

Did anyone find out any further info on this, in the UK the Technics Turntables prices have gone silly going up quite a lot this year at one point two years ago they were about the £335 with out cart and stylus now they are £400 plus for the 1200 and 1210 and other higher spec models SL 1200 mk 5 £600 plus depending on store.

There was another discussion on this forum about this - can't find it right now - but from what I've been able to find out there is nothing to confirm this report on the Technics site. I believe if one reads the news reports about this its the SL1260 that they're discontinuing and not the other turntable.

Not sure what is happening with the Technics line of turntables but decks in london have said they only have the 1210s and once the stock of their last 1210s are gone they wont have anymore. I have checked out the various websites and dealers in the UK and it seems no one has any SL 1200s now only SL 1210s and im puzzled about sales dropping ,maybe they should have not have increased their prices this year and i was way out the 1210 it now retails in the UK for £599. I think their are a few SL 1210 mk5s and Gs but few have them, i think it is stupid to finish all the line they could have kept two SLs going probably the 1200 mk 2 would have been the best because of the long time factor in production and its relability.

Here's a link to Technics corporate site http://www.panasonic.com/consumer_el...ult_analog.asp and the turntables being manufactured. I couldn't find anything on this site about them discontinuing making their turntables. You would think if they were there would be something on this site?

I bought one about 2 years back new but can't remember what I paid for it. I know it was over $695 CAD and they are currently selling for $895 CAD here http://www.tomleemusic.ca/main/dj.cf...=147&inv=88340 So not really sure what to believe or think. I think they'd be really stupid if they discontinued making them.

Quote Originally Written by Cdnbob View Post
    There was another discussion on this forum about this
    http://www.discomusic.com/forums/sho...Technics-1200s
    DBS™ Media & Entertainment GmbH ® München/Deutschland

DBS™ Official @YouTube|||DBS™ @Twitter

The only Technics turntables avavilable in the UK are the SL 1210 mk2s and once the stock has been sold we wont be able to buy these anymore their is still the unknown and ultimate truth overhere in the UK put some have said they are not making the DJ standard SL line anymore which is absolutely stupid, they could have let them reach 40 years and done a last special edition to finalize the line how sad.

Permissions

vagrant-critical