Page 3 of 87 FirstFirst 1234567891353 ... LastLast

Thread: 1977 Billboard Disco Compilation Consensus Charts!!!

Re: 1977 Billboard Disco Compilation Consensus Charts!!!

Quote Originally Written by JussiK View Post
    83) * LOIN D'ICI - Boule Noire (Montreal)
    -?! What's this like?
    Do I hear a Montreal-related question ?????

Loin d'ici was the very 1st single off Boule Noire's sophomore set called Les années passent. And it is my favorite song from Boule Noire.

The track is quite different from his previous hits and the other tracks off the debut album - it is very uptempo disco with a synth hook that won't quit,a clavinet-led breakdown and best of all : the all-star back-up singers (Alma Faye Brooks,Geraldine Hunt and Judi Richards,Heather Gauthier & Lorri Zimmerman from Toulouse) cooing "Je veux partir avec toi Ooh baby - Et t'emmener avec moi oh loin d'ici". It is George first 4-on-the-floor disco hit but the horns made it funky.

It should be noted that the song has been remade by George himself (since he probably didn't own the rights even though he cowrote the song) - and the version featured on his Greatest hits CD is not as good as the original.

It should be noted that the version found on the Potion magique and Connexion Noire compilation albums - is the original version.
    KRIS

markydefad is offline Triple Platinum Record [Level 10]

What's It All About, Mar-keeey???

(Is it just for old disco we live???..... well IS it????)

January 08, 1977

STARTING ALL OVER AGAIN IS GOING TO BE ROUGH.
    STARTING ALL OVER AGAIN IS GOING TO BE TOUGH.
    STARTING ALL OVER AGAIN IS GOING TO BE HARD.
    STARTING ALL OVER AGAIN IS GOING TO BE SLOW.

IT'S AN UPHILL CLIMB TO THE FINISH LINE
    WE GONNA TRY, WE GONNA TRY, JUST ONE MORE TIME.

I think Mel & Tim said it all, didn't they?

I've been avoiding doing this :icon_eek::icon_exclaim::icon_mad: but will make an attempt to fill in this post over the course of the weekend, so I can move on to the next chart.

The last chart of 1976 was on 12/25, Christmas Day. Two weeks transpired between Christmas 1976 and the next published chart on January 8, 1977. This must have been the start of the year-end double issue (on newsstands for 2 weeks) that continues until today. Note that it was not the case at the end of 1974 or 1975. Charts appeared for every week in that time period.

So--when we last checked in on 12/25/76, Thelma Houston was #1 for the first week with "Don't Leave Me This Way," after 5 weeks of charting. Now, I have to add 2 weeks to those totals---making "Don't Leave Me This Way" #1 for 3 weeks after charting for 7 weeks. All records that are still charting as we move into 1977 have been given charting credit for that missing week and assigned points for that non-published week (repeated the 12/25/76 points) added into their cumulative point totals. Understand?
    That needed to be said again.

CHART CHAT

Now here we are in the relatively eventless week after New Years Day: January 8, 1977. The Top 10 is stagnant; Top 4: Thelma Houston, Donna Summer, Stevie Wonder & D. C. LaRue are in exactly the same postions they occupied on 12/25/76. The rest of the Top 10: the Supremes, Crown Heights Affair, Dazz and Rose Royce slightly rearrange their postions, while Mass Production returns to the Top 10, pushing the Glitter Band down to #13.

The only notable change is that a long overdue bundling of certain tracks that had been charting in December as "bubbling under" items finally get bundled into the Top 10. The Supremes' "Let Yourself Go" and "Love I Never Knew You Could Feel So Good" get added to the heretofore only Top 10 charting "You're My Driving Wheel." Now that that's happened, another track from the "Mary, Scherrie, & Susaye" LP is getting notable mentions on the prestigious New York & LA charts: "I Don't Want To Be Tied Down." Both chart "Tied Down" as the third item in their Supremes 3-pack leaving out "Love I Never Knew You Could Feel So Good." The Supremes magic is fading however and they will start dropping next week.

The other notable addition "Anyway You Like It" is bundled with Thelma Houston's current #1: "Don't Leave Me This Way." The irony here is that Billboard will now forever list these two titles in tandem--but after this week "Anyway You Like It" will not receive any points from any city chart! And strangely, the Billboard 1977 year-end chart will actually list Thelma Houston's hits as such: "Anyway You Like it/ Don't Leave Me This Way" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! "Anyway" gets top billing--AS IF!!! :icon_exclaim:

Of the 16 city charts printed, 2 are total repeats of the 12/25/76 charts: Philadelphia & Seattle.

Note Seattle keeps "The Best Disco In Town" charting with one point as their #15 for the 3rd week in a row. Next week, I just noticed a really odd thing happens on the Seattle chart that I didn't catch before. One and only one item in their top 15 is changed. The rest remains exactly the same for the 4th week. Someone [???] kindly removes the seasonal "Christmas Jollies" LP from their #6 position and inserts "My Love Is Free"--leaving the other 14 postions exactly the same! Ain't that peculiar?

I noticed another relatively rare occurrence in this week's Top 10: 3 records chart simultaneously in the Pop, Soul & Disco Top 10! Note "I Wish," "Dazz" and "Car Wash" are in the Top 10's on all 3 charts. A rare moment in time--since the Disco chart is usually month's ahead of the Pop & Soul radio charts. This time the radio popularity of these records is making the Disco charts take notice and give thm their due.

#1: "DON'T LEAVE ME THIS WAY" (188 points /14 charts)

This is Thelma's best point total to date--gets better later. (based on a maximum 240 points for 16 #1's (15 points x 16 charts = 240)

#1= (8 charts) Atlanta/Baltimore+DC/Boston/Chicago/Detroit/Miami/NYC/SF
    #2= LA+SD/Phoenix
    #4= New Orleans
    #6= Philadelphia (repeat chart)/Pittsburgh
    #8= Dallas+Houston
    Not charting: Seattle/Montreal (will chart in both cities at later date.)

"ANYWAY YOU LIKE IT" bundled @ #1 in 2 cities: NYC & SF; bundled @ #2 in Phoenix.

DEBUTS:

The Top 40 debuts a few other new items that previously were "bubbling under": most notably Silvetti's lovely piano instrumental that still sounds fresh and sparkling today "Spring Rain." Recorded in Spain, the record gets a U.S. release via acquisition by Salsoul. "Spring Rain" debuts @ #30; headed for the Top 10, but gets shoved aside relatively early in it's chart run [6 weeks in the Top 10--then a quick demise; afterthought: maybe that's not so bad?] for some odd reason I don't understand. :icon_eek: (#8 in Chicago, #12 in Miami & #14 in SF)

Ashford & Simpson crack the Top 40 for the first time @#34 with "Tried, Tested & Found True." I think this is the only Top 40 appearance--but it will "bubble under" in future weeks. (#8 in Detroit & #10 in NYC)

A German group called Tender Aggression debut an instrumental titled "Black Jack" @ #37 (not related to the Baciotti title) for a one week spin in the Top 40. Will "bubble under" for a few weeks. (#7 in Phoenix)

Then there's the 17+ minute lush Euro ( also German) extravaganza "Turn On To Love" from Jumbo @ #39 (#15 in Philly & #12 in Phoenix)

[UPDATE: remicks reminded me I should mention that "Turn On To Love" was the first time the NYC label Prelude charted here; I think he is right on that. Oddly, Billboard lists the label as "Pye" until the very last week it charts in the Top 40; then it corrects to Prelude.]

Hmmm...checking Discogs, I see 'Turn On To Love" was released on Pye as Billboard contends...so maybe a label switch takes place during it's chart run? From January 8, 1977 through February 12, 1977 it's listed as [Pye]... On February, 19, 1977 Billboard changes the label to say [Prelude]

For the record, I originally typed Pye as the label on the "Bubbling Under" chart; then, thinking that was an error, I edited it to Prelude; it appears that at this point in time it should be Pye. Will correct that on the next chart.

Proof:
    http://www.discogs.com/Jumbo-Turn-On...release/599178
    Also this:
    http://www.discogs.com/Jumbo-Turn-On...release/326726
    All labels:
    http://www.discogs.com/Jumbo-Turn-On...e/master/83244

Lastly, two tracks from the latest Esther Phillips LP "Capricorn Princess" get remixed into a 12-inch medley: "Magic's In The Air/Boy, I Really Tied One On." "Magic's" previously charted in 1975 by Ronnie Walker and "Boy" is a cover of a Janis Ian (!) tune. This is headed for the Top 10.

NEXT WEEK:

1977 officially begins with next week's chart. A slew of debuts grace the charts (Top 40 & "Bubbling Under"); notably, new product from 1976's disco chart champs: the Trammps (a rare Top 10 debut, I might add).

Love Unlimited Orchestra return to the Top 40 with a new movie theme and lastly, the neo-African group, Black Soul, debuts two titles at #40.

"Bubbling Under"--- much activity ensues as titles debut from the following acts: additional lp track from the Trammps; new titles from Loleatta Holloway, Denise McCann, the Miracles, Karma, Eddie Russ, Fat Larry's Band, Elton John (with "A Tom Moulton Mix" no less!), Instant Funk, Johnny Wakelin, Barbara Pennington, Tina Charles, El Coco and....[drumroll, please.......disco will never be the same after this!........French newcomer, Cerrone, courtesy of a #15 in Montreal!)

We will now have reached the intersection in the disco road where status quo/R&B-based/Philly state-of-the-art --the Trammps--meet the the future of classically-based, swirling string-saturated Euro disco--Cerrone. It will be fun to watch the battle that rages! (Well for Stephen L. anyway! ) [Actually the Heart & Soul Orchestra's Cerrone cover is the real spoiler here....you'll see.]

Geez, looks like that's about all there is-- and I thought I had nothing to say! Well, technically I probably didn't :icon_lol: --but I typed something (!) so I can start January 15, 1977.

Later, kidz.
    Last edited by markydefad; October 18th, 2009 at 02:16 PM.
    "Lost inside adorable illusion...."

OK, I'm done with chart chat.

""Boy" is a cover of a Janis Ian (!) tune. This is headed for the Top 10."
    OK,that is a new piece of info Marky-but it does have her dry wit,doesn't it? I wonder-did she record this herself?

Thom

Quote Originally Written by thommy2458 View Post
    ""Boy" is a cover of a Janis Ian (!) tune. This is headed for the Top 10."
    OK,that is a new piece of info Marky-but it does have her dry wit,doesn't it? I wonder-did she record this herself?

Thom
    Yes Thom, it is from the 1975 Janis Ian LP "Aftertones."

re: marky's comment of:
    Love Unlimited Orchestra return to the Top 40 with a new movie theme .........

Bring on some KING KONG !!! (let's ask Jessica Lange to put on a silky wrap dress and do some fancy moves on a disco floor for us) :icon_lol:

Quote Originally Written by markydefad View Post
    We will now have reached the intersection in the disco road where status quo/R&B-based/Philly state-of-the-art --the Trammps--meet the the future of classically-based, swirling string-saturated Euro disco--Cerrone. It will be fun to watch the battle that rages! (Well for Stephen L. anyway! ) [Actually the Heart & Soul Orchestra's Cerrone cover is the real spoiler here....you'll see.]
    Ahh, yesss...
    How I remember my-Euro-Disco-self, preparing for battle, in the Spring of '77.

Chained to a dark corner. Salivating... Snarling... Growling... :icon_evil: The heavy metal collar cutting into my neck, as I leapt forward, towards my handlers (Roy Thode, Chuck-the-jock, Eddie Ruggiano...). :icon_mad: Their TECHNICS 1100-A's taunting the hunger of my musical sensibilities with scraps of lush-ious, string-laden, 4-on-the-floor-driven pieces of music, like so many chunks of raw meat... :icon_twisted:

hmmm... :icon_confused:

wait a minute...

le' Ooops! :icon_eek:

I confused Saturday night at Ice Palace '57, with Sunday morning at the Christopher Street Bookstore.
    Oh, how it all starts to run together, at my age.

...never mind.
    Last edited by STEPHEN L FREEMAN; October 20th, 2009 at 10:18 AM.
    "MUSIC IS AN EMOTION, SEARCHING FOR IT'S VOICE"

...come with me, "BACK TO MUSIC", on DISCOTERIA
    http://www.live365.com/stations/cdnbob2

LOL --- that's some funny S#@%, Stephen :icon_exclaim:

remicks is offline Double Platinum Record [Level 9]

markydefad :

DEBUTS:

Lastly, two tracks from the latest Esther Phillips LP "Capricorn Princess" get remixed into a 12-inch medley: "Magic's In The Air/Boy, I Really Tied One On." "Magic's" previously charted in 1975 by Ronnie Walker and "Boy" is a cover of a Janis Ian (!) tune. This is headed for the Top 10.

I can see why the naughty & yet oh so haughty boys of the day took to this .....talk about bit-che! :icon_razz: :icon_razz:

BOY I REALLY TIED ONE ON

lyrics:

Boy I really tied one on
    Spent the night away from home
    I know you're not to blame
    If I can't recall your name
    Sorry if I caused you pain

Boy I really lost my head
    I woke up in a double bed
    Allow me the pleasure
    Of taking your measure :icon_eek:
    Though I'm sure you ain't
    Nobody's treasure
    And I know it isn't ladylike
    To do what I've done tonight

Wake up I've got news for you
    Nobody's knocking at your door
    Nobody's gonna pull you through
    Nobody nobody needs you anymore no no baby
    And ain't nobody kicking down your door no

Boy I went around the bend
    I thought I made a lifelong friend
    Imagine my surprise when
    I looked into your eyes
    And I saw the kind of friends you meant
    I think I'm gonna take the cure
    I'm going on the wagon for sure
    I may feel a fool for a Sunday or two
    But it's better than a Sunday with you
    :icon_razz: :icon_razz: :icon_razz:
    And I know it isn't ladylike
    To do what I've done tonight

Wake up I've got news for you
    Nobody, nobody, nobody's knocking at your door
    And nobody's gonna pull you through
    Don't nobody need you no more now baby
    Nobody's knocking at your door

I still recall the thrill -
    I guess I always will

If all goes well, I will start typing the January 15, 1977 chart later today. I have to run some errands first....then I'm gonna type the Top 40 in countdown fashion....from #40 down to #1. Why you ask? :icon_eek: It amuses me that's why.

Part#1:
    January 15, 1977

Billboard POP Singles Chart Top 10:

01) (02) YOU MAKE ME FEEL LIKE DANCING - Leo Sayer (Warner)
    02) (04) I WISH - Stevie Wonder (Tamla)
    03) (05) CAR WASH - Rose Royce (MCA)
    04) (01) YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE A STAR (To Be In My Show) - Marilyn McCoo & Billy Davis Jr. (ABC) (1 week @ #1)
    05) (07) DAZZ - Brick (Bang)
    06) (03) TONIGHT'S THE NIGHT (Gonna Be Alright) - Rod Stewart (Warner) (previously #1 for 7 weeks!)
    07) (06) SORRY SEEMS TO BE THE HARDEST WORD - Elton John (MCA/Rocket)
    08) (11) *HOT LINE - The Sylvers (Capitol)
    09) (09) AFTER THE LOVIN' - Engelbert Humperdinck (Epic/MAM)
    10) (10) STAND TALL - Burton Cummings (Portrait)

dropped from last week's Pop Top 10:
    #08: "The Rubberband Man" - The Spinners (Atlantic)]
    __________________________________________________ __________

[Thanks to starsky (aka disco-disc) for sending the Soul Top 10 to me.]

Billboard Hot SOUL Singles Chart Top 10:

01) (02) I WISH - Stevie Wonder (Tamla)
    02) (01) DARLIN' DARLIN' BABY (Sweet, Tender, Love) - The O'Jays (Philadelphia Int'l. Records) (1 week @ #1)
    03) (03) DAZZ - Brick (Bang) (spent 4 weeks @ #1)
    04) (06) SATURDAY NITE - Earth, Wind & Fire (Columbia)
    05) (07) FREE - Deniece Williams (Columbia)
    06) (05) CAR WASH -Rose Royce (MCA) (spent 1 week @ #1)
    07) (04) HOT LINE – The Sylvers (Capitol)
    08) (08) DO IT TO MY MIND - Johnny Bristol (Atlantic)
    09) (12) *I LIKE TO DO IT - KC & The Sunshine Band (T.K.)
    10) (13) *FEELINGS - Walter Jackson (Chi-Sound)

[dropped from last week's Soul Top 10:
    #09: "Enjoy Yourself" - The Jacksons (Epic)
    #10: "Open Sesame" - Kool & The Gang (De-Lite)]

(Items in BOLD have charted/will chart on the disco charts: 5 Pop titles/ 7 Soul titles this week./ * = debut in Top 10)

DISCO ACTION CHARTS:

(15 U.S. city charts in alphabetical order + 1 Canadian city at the end)
    * = New #1; (R) = Return to #1

TOP AUDIENCE RESPONSE RECORDS BY CITY

Atlanta: (#1 = * DREAMIN'/HIT AND RUN/RIPPED OFF) (1st week)
    Baltimore/Washington, D.C.: (#1 = DON'T LEAVE ME THIS WAY) (3rd week)
    Boston: (#1 = DON'T LEAVE ME THIS WAY ) (3rd week)
    Chicago: (#1 = DON'T LEAVE ME THIS WAY) (3rd week)
    Dallas/Houston: (#1 = I WISH/ISN'T SHE LOVELY/ANOTHER STAR ) (2nd week)
    Detroit: (#1 = DON'T LEAVE ME THIS WAY ) (2nd week)
    Los Angeles/San Diego: (#1= * DON'T LEAVE ME THIS WAY
    ) (1st week)
    Miami AREA: (#1 = DON'T LEAVE ME THIS WAY ) (3rd week)

New Orleans: (#1 = * DON'T LEAVE ME THIS WAY) (1st week)
    New York: (#1 = DON'T LEAVE ME THIS WAY/ANYWAY YOU LIKE IT) (6th week)
    Philadelphia: (#1 = THAT'S THE TROUBLE/ SORRY) (4th week)
    Phoenix: (#1 = * DISCO INFERNO/STARVIN'/BODY CONTACT CONTRACT) (1st week)
    Pittsburgh: (#1 = (R) DAZZ) (R) = Return to #1 for the 11th week! (10/16-12/18/76 + 1/15/77)
    San Francisco: (#1 = DON'T LEAVE ME THIS WAY/ANYWAY YOU LIKE IT ) (4th week)
    Seattle: (#1 = DAZZ ) (3rd week)

+ 1 Canadian city:
    Montreal: (#1 = * WHY MUST A GIRL LIKE ME) (1st week)

#1 Tally: (* = first time #1/ (R) = Return to #1/(B) = title bundled with other titles on some, not all, charts)

9 charts = DON'T LEAVE ME THIS WAY (Baltimore+DC/Boston/Chicago/Detroit/LA+SD/Miami/New Orleans/NYC/SF)
    2 charts = DAZZ (Pittsburgh/Seattle)
    1 chart = *DISCO INFERNO/STARVIN'/BODY CONTACT CONTRACT (Phoenix)
    1 chart = *DREAMIN'/HIT AND RUN/RIPPED OFF (Atlanta)
    1 chart = I WISH/ISN'T SHE LOVELY/ANOTHER STAR (Dallas+Houston)
    1 chart = THAT'S THE TROUBLE/ SORRY (Philadelphia)
    1 chart = *WHY MUST A GIRL LIKE ME (Montreal)

[dropped from last week's Disco #1 city chart:
    "Four Seasons Of Love" (LP) (LA +SD)
    "Any Way You Like It" (bundled in NYC/SF)
    "Indiscreet/O Ba Ba/Overture/Face of Love" (Phoenix)
    "Je Danse" (Montreal)
    "Sir Duke" (Pittsburgh) ]

POINT RULES: 15 U.S. city charts with 15 items apiece + 1 Canadian chart with 15 items (Montreal); 15 points for a #1; 1 point for a #15; 240 maximum points this week.

[Billboard Legend: City charts compiled by telephone from the Disco DJ Playlists representing key discotheques in the 16 major U.S. [Canadian] Disco Action markets.]

Last edited by markydefad; October 27th, 2009 at 02:30 PM.

THE BILLBOARD
    NATIONAL DISCO ACTION TOP 40

January 15, 1977
    Billboard Disco Action Top 40: Chart #20
    Disco Compilation Consensus Chart #116 (volume 3: (1977 = #2)

[40 chart positions featuring 60 titles + 2 medleys + 1 LP = 63 titles total]

[* = Debut/(R) = Return to chart]

[Current position/last week's position/title(s)/artist]

************************************************** ****************************************

01) (01) DON'T LEAVE ME THIS WAY/ ANY WAY YOU LIKE IT - THELMA HOUSTON

(Tamla LP: 5:40) PRODUCER: Hal Davis // WRITER: K. Gamble/L. Huff/C. Gilbert
    "DLMTW": 197 points/ 14 charts = Atlanta/Baltimore+DC/Boston/Chicago/Dallas+Houston/Detroit/LA+SD/Miami/NewOrleans/NYC/Philly/Phoenix/Pittsburgh/SF/__/__/
    "AWYLI": 0 points/0 charts = none
    BDA Top 40: 8 weeks/ 2 weeks on chart // Last week: #1 (+/-0) (4th week @ #1) /(2nd week bundled @ #1)
    DCC chart: 8 weeks/ 7 weeks on chart // Last week: #1 (+/-0)

************************************************** ******************************************

02) (04) ["THE TEA DANCE" LP]: OVERTURE/ DON'T KEEP IT IN THE SHADOWS/ INDISCREET/ O BA BA (No Reino da Mae Do Ouro) - D.C. LaRue (w/Lou Christie on "DKIITS")
    (Pyramid LP: 5:05/5:41/7:02/5:06) P: Aram Schefrin/ D.C. LaRue // W: D.C. LaRue/A.Schefrin; 2) LaRue/Schefrin/L.Christie; 3) LaRue/Schefrin/S.Tubin; 4) Tolito/R. da Mangueira/(English lyric: LaRue)
    "Overture": 104 points/ 9 charts = Atlanta/Baltimore+DC/Detroit/LA+SD/Miami/NYC/Phoenix/Pittsburgh/SF
    "DKIITS": 59 points/7 charts = Atlanta/Dallas+Houston/LA+SD/Miami/NewOrleans/NYC/SF
    "Indiscreet": 79 points/ 7 charts = Baltimore+DC/Detroit/LA+SD/Miami/Phoenix/Pittsburgh/SF
    "O Ba Ba": 83 points/7 charts = Baltimore+DC/Detroit//Miami/NYC/Phoenix/Pittsburgh/SF
    BDA Top 40: 7 weeks EACH on chart // Last week: #4 (+2)
    DCC chart: 7 weeks EACH on chart

03) (03) ANOTHER STAR/ I WISH/ SIR DUKE/ ISN'T SHE LOVELY - Stevie Wonder
    (Tamla LP: 8:19/ 4:12/ 3:52/ 6:33) P/W: Stevie Wonder
    "AS": 94 points/ 9 charts = Atlanta/__/Boston/__/Dallas+Houston/Detroit/__/Miami/NO/NYC/Philly/__/Pitts/__/__/
    "IW": 93 points/10 charts = Atlanta/__/Boston/Chicago/Dallas+Houston/Det/LA+SD/__/NO/NYC/__/__/Pitts/__/Seattle/__/
    "SD": 69 points/ 7 charts = Detroit/Miami/NO/NYC/Philly/Pitts/Seattle
    "ISL": 59 points/ 7 charts = Boston/Dallas+Houston/LA+SD/Miami/N.O./NYC/Seattle
    BDA Top 40: 13 weeks/ 13 weeks/ 13 weeks/ 12 weeks on chart // Last week: #3 (+/-0)
    DCC chart: 13 weeks/ 13 weeks/ 13 weeks/ 12 weeks on chart

04) (02) " FOUR SEASONS OF LOVE" (LP-all cuts) – Donna Summer (accompanied by The Munich Machine)
    (Casablanca LP (U.S.)/Quality (Canada)) Producer: Giorgio Moroder/Pete Bellote // Writer: D. Summer/G.Moroder/P.Bellotte
    Side A: 1) Spring Affair (8:30) 2) Summer Fever (8:04)
    Side B: 1) Autumn Changes (5:29) 2) Winter Melody (6:28.) 3) Spring Affair (Reprise) (3:50)
    108 points/ 12 charts = Atlanta/Baltimore+DC/Boston/Chicago/__/Detroit/LA+SD/Miami/__/NYC/Philly/__/Pittsburgh/__/Seattle + Montreal ("Spring Affair")
    BDA Top 40: 15 weeks on chart // Last week: #2 (-2)/ (6 weeks @ #1: 11/13 - 12/18/76)
    DCC chart: 15 weeks on chart

05) (15) MAGIC'S IN THE AIR /BOY, I REALLY TIED ONE ON [medley] - Esther Phillips
    (Kudu 12-inch remix: 7:14) P: Creed Taylor // W: 1) Vincent Montana/ Ronald B. Walker/ 2) Janis Ian
    12" remix combining both titles: (I think most charts are just using "Boy" to stand for both titles...or are they???)

"MITA": 26 points/2 charts = Baltimore+DC/SF (in tandem with ""BIRTOO")
    "BIRTOO": 70 points/ 7 charts = Atlanta/Baltimore+DC/LA+SD/Miami/Phoenix/Pittsburgh/SF
    BDA Top 40: (12" remix): 2 weeks) / "BIRTOO" separately: 9 weeks on chart/ Last week: #15 (+10)
    DCC chart: (12" remix): 2 weeks/ "BIRTOO": 9 weeks on chart/ "MITA": 5 weeks

06) (06) DANCIN’/ SEARCHING FOR LOVE/ FAR OUT – Crown Heights Affair
    (De-Lite Records LP: 6:13/ 5:51/ 6:14) P: Freida Nerangis & Britt Britton
    W: 1) W. Anderson; 2) F. Nerangis/B. Britton; 3) B. Reid/R.Reid
    "Dancin’ ": 69 points/ 9 charts = Atlanta/Baltimore+DC/Boston/LA+SD/Miami/NewOrleans/Phoenix/Pittsburgh/Seattle
    "SFL": 10 points/ 2 charts = Phoenix/Seattle
    "FO": 3 points/ 1 chart = Seattle
    BDA Top 40: 11 weeks EACH on chart/ Last week: #6 (+/-0)
    DCC chart: 11 weeks EACH on chart

07) (09) DAZZ - Brick
    (Bang 7"/12" single: 5:35) P: Jim Healy, Johnny Duncan, Robert E. Lee & Brick // W: R. Hargis/E. Irons/R. Ransom
    79 points/ 7 charts = Chicago/Dallas+Houston/Detroit/LA+SD/NewOrleans/Pittsburgh/Seattle
    BDA Top 40: 17 weeks on chart/ Last week: #9 (+2)
    DCC chart: 18 weeks on chart

08) (17) LOVE IN MOTION/ CUT THE RUG/ GIVIN' BACK THE FEELING - George McCrae
    (T.K. LP/12-inch: ("LIM": 5:00/4:52/5:31) P: Gregg Diamond // W: 1) G. Diamond; 2)Argy/Duarte; 3) G. Diamond
    "LIM": 52 points/ 6 charts = Atlanta/Baltimore+DC/Dallas+Houston/Miami/NYC/SF
    "CTR": 14 points/1 chart = Baltimore+DC
    "GBTF": 47 points/ 4 charts = Atlanta/Baltimore+DC/NYC/SF
    BDA Top 40: 4 weeks EACH // Last week: #17 (+9)
    DCC chart: 5 weeks/4 weeks/4 weeks on chart

09) (--) *DISCO INFERNO/ *STARVIN'/ *BODY CONTACT CONTRACT - The Trammps
    (Atlantic LP: 10:54/7:05/6:55) P:(1 & 2) Ron Kersey for Baker-HarrisYoung/ 3) Norman Harris for B-H-Y) ["A Tom Moulton Mix"]
    W: 1) Leroy Green/Ron "Have Mercy" Kersey/ 2) Allan Felder/Ronald Tyson/Norman Harris/ 3) N. Harris/Bruce Gray/Jimmy Hendricks
    "DI" + "Starvin'": 55 points EACH/6 charts EACH = Atlanta/Baltimore+DC/Boston/NYC/Phoenix(#1!)/SF
    "BCC": 40 points/5 charts= Atlanta/Baltimore+DC/Boston/NYC/SF
    BDA Top 40: 1 week EACH on chart/ *DEBUT
    DCC chart: 1 week EACH/ *DEBUT

10) (10) CAR WASH - Rose Royce
    (MCA LP: 5:06) P/W: Norman Whitfield
    80 points/ 8 charts = Boston/Chicago/Dallas+Houston/Detroit/NewOrleans/Philly/Pittsburgh/Seattle
    BDA Top 40: 16 weeks on chart/ Last week: #10 (+/-0)
    DCC chart: 16 weeks on chart

__________________________________________________ ____________________________________________

11) (05) YOU'RE MY DRIVING WHEEL/ LET YOURSELF GO/ LOVE I NEVER KNEW YOU COULD FEEL SO GOOD- The Supremes
    (Motown LP: 4:20/4:29/5:51) P: Brian Holland //
    W: 1) B. Holland/H. Beatty/F. Stafford/R. Brown; 2) B. Holland/E. Holland/H. Beatty; 3) B.Holland/R. Davis/ R. Brown/ F. Stafford
    "YMDW": 23 points/ 2 charts = Atlanta/NYC
    "LYG": 42 points/ 4 charts = Atlanta/Chicago/Miami/NYC
    "LINKYCFSG": 0 points/ 0 charts = none
    BDA Top 40: 10 weeks/ 2 weeks/ 2 weeks on chart // Last week: #5 (-6)
    DCC chart: 10 weeks/ 8 weeks/ 7 weeks on chart

12) (13) MAKES YOU BLIND- The Glitter Band
    (Arista 7" & 12" single /Bell import 7": 3:11) P: Mike Leander // W: M. Leander/ P.Phelps/ G. Sheppard
    60 points/ 6 charts = Chicago/Detroit/LA+SD/NewOrleans/Pittsburgh/Seattle
    BDA Top 40: 20 weeks on chart/ Last week: #13 (+1)
    DCC chart: 21 weeks on chart

13) (26) DISCO LUCY ("I Love Lucy" Theme) - Wilton Place Street Band
    (Island 12-inch #1001-A: 5:10) P: Trevor Lawrence // W: E. Daniel/H. Adamson
    57 points/ 6 charts = Boston/Dallas+Houston/LA+SD/NewOrleans/Phoenix/Seattle
    BDA Top 40: 5 weeks on chart/ Last week: #26 (+13)
    DCC chart: 5 weeks on chart

14) (08) WELCOME TO OUR WORLD (Of Merry Music)/ WINE-FLOW DISCO – Mass Production
    (Cotillion LP: 7:32/6:08) P: Ed A. Ellerbee // W: 1) T. Williams; 2) R.Phelps/J.W. Drumgole/G. McCoy/R. Williams/T. Williams
    "WTOW:" 32 points/ 5 charts = Boston/Chicago/NewOrleans/NYC/Pittsburgh
    "WFD": 20 points/ 2 charts = NewOrleans/Phoenix
    BDA Top 40: 11 weeks EACH on chart/ Last week: #8 (-6)
    DCC chart: 12 weeks/ 11 weeks on chart

15) (20) OPEN SESAME (Groove With The Genie) - Kool & The Gang
    (De-Lite promo 12": 8:48.) P: Kool & The Gang / W: Charles Smith/Khalis Bayyan & Kool & The Gang
    37 points/ 5 charts = Baltimore+DC/Boston/Dallas+Houston/SF + Montreal
    BDA Top 40: 5 weeks on chart / Last week: #20 (+5)

16) (12) DOWN TO LOVE TOWN – The Originals
    (Motown 12-inch: 5:55) P: Frank Wilson & Michael B. Sutton // W: D.Daniels/M. Sutton/K. Wakefield
    45 points/ 5 charts = Boston/Chicago/Philly/Pittsburgh/Seattle
    BDA Top 40: 20 weeks on chart/ Last week: #12 (-4) / 1 week @ #1 (10/30/76)
    DCC chart: 20 weeks on chart

17) (07) THAT'S THE TROUBLE/SORRY - Grace Jones
    (Beam Junction 12-inch: 6:42/ 7:02) ["A Tom Moulton Mix"] P: Tom Moulton for Orfeus Prods. // W: G Jones/P. Papadiamondis
    BOTH TITLES = 43 points EACH/ 6 charts = Dallas+Houston/LA+SD/NewOrleans/NYC/Philly + Montreal
    BDA Top 40: 12 weeks/ 10 weeks on chart/ Last week: #7 (-10)
    DCC chart: 12 weeks/ 10 weeks on chart

18) (30) SPRING RAIN - Silvetti
    (Salsoul 12" (U.S.)/(RCA-Canada: 5:52) P: Rafael Trabuchelli // W: Bebu Silvetti
    46 points/ 8 charts = Boston/Chicago/LA+SD/Miami//NYC/Phoenix/SF + Montreal
    BDA Top 40: 2 weeks // Last week: #30 (+12)
    DCC chart: 6 weeks on chart

19) (22) MY LOVE IS FREE (12-inch Remix)- Double Exposure
    Salsoul 12-inch remix: 9:30) ["A Tom Moulton Mix"] P: Baker-Harris-Young / W: Allen Felder/Bunny Sigler
    41 points/ 6 charts = Chicago/New Orleans/NYC/Philly/SF/Seattle
    BDA Top 40: (12" remix) 3 weeks on chart/ Last week: #22 (+3)
    BDA Top 40: (LP) 9 weeks on chart
    DCC chart: (12" remix) 3 weeks on chart

DCC chart: (LP) 12 weeks on chart
    [the LP version previously charted 9 weeks on the BDA Top 40; 12 weeks on the DCC chart; left the Top 40 in Oct. '76]

20) (23) DREAM EXPRESS - The Honeybees
    (Roxbury 12-inch: 5:42) P: Phil Swern & Richard Hewson // W: METS [disco mix: Paul Dougan]
    32 points/ 3 charts = Dallas+Houston/LA+SD/Phoenix
    BDA Top 40: 8 weeks on chart/ Last week: #23 (+3)
    DCC chart: 8 weeks on chart
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____

21) (21) I DON'T KNOW WHAT'S ON YOUR MIND (You Don't Know What's On Mine)/
    I'VE LEARNED FROM MY BURNS - Spider's Webb
    (Fantasy LP 5:32/5:04 + 12" on "IDKWOYM" title: 5:32) P: Jeff Lane // W: 1) Nichols; 2)Lane-Taylor
    "IDKWOYM": 26 points/3 charts = Atlanta/Baltimore+DC/New Orleans

"ILFMB": 28 points/ 4 charts = Atlanta/Baltimore+DC/Boston/NewOrleans
    BDA Top 40: 10 weeks EACH on chart/ Last week: #21 (+/-0)
    DCC chart: 10 weeks EACH on chart

22) (24) DREAMIN' - Loleatta Holloway (Billboard chart STILL spells name "Lolita"!)
    (Gold Mind LP: 6:18) P: Norman Harris // W: Allan Felder/ N.Harris/ Ron Tyson
    19 points/ 3 charts = Atlanta/Detroit/SF
    BDA Top 40: 6 weeks on chart/ Last week: #24 (+2)

23) (16) WHEN LOVE IS NEW - Arthur Prysock b/w John Davis & The Monster Orchestra
    (Old Town 12-inch: 7:13) P: John Davis // W: K. Gamble/ L. Huff
    23 points/ 5 charts = Boston/Detroit/Miami/Pittsburgh + Montreal
    BDA Top 40: 9 weeks/ Last week: #16 (-7)
    DCC Chart: 9 weeks on chart

24) (25) IT AIN'T REGGAE (But It's Funky) - Instant Funk
    (TSOP 7-inch/LP: 3:46 approx.) P: Bunny Sigler // W: K. Miller/B. Sigler
    13 points/ 2 charts = Baltimore+DC/SF
    BDA Top 40: 4 weeks on chart // Last week: #25 (+1)
    DCC chart: 4 weeks on chart

25) (31) DANCE AND SHAKE YOUR TAMBOURINE - Universal Robot Band
    (Red Greg 12-inch: 6:26/4:17) P: Greg Carmichael & Patrick Adams // W: P. Adams
    8 points/2 charts = Chicago/NYC
    BDA Top 40: 4 weeks on chart/ Last week: #31 (+6)

26) (29) YOU + ME = LOVE - Undisputed Truth
    (Whitfield 12-inch single: 11:10) P/W: Norman Whitfield
    17 points/ 2 charts = Detroit/Miami
    BDA Top 40: 21 weeks on chart/ Last week: #29 (+3)
    DCC chart: 26 weeks on chart

27) (32) STAY AWAY / LOOKING AWAY/ I CAN'T STAY AWAY (From Someone I Love) - The Dynamic Superiors
    (Motown LP: 5:39/ 5:01/7:11) P: 1) Hal Davis/ 2) M.B. Sutton 3) Don Daniels //
    W: 1) J. Gatlin/J.Powell/A.Posey; 2) M.B. Sutton/B.Sutton; 3) D. Daniels/K. Wakefield
    "SA" + "LA": 14 points EACH/ 2 charts = Phoenix/SF
    "ICSA": 8 points/ 1 chart = SF
    BDA Top 40: 4 weeks EACH on chart // Last week: #32 (+5)
    DCC chart: 5 weeks EACH on chart

28) (--) * THEME FROM "KING KONG" - Love Unlimited Orchestra
    (20th Century 12-inch: 8:06) P: Barry White // W: John Barry (from the Paramount movie starring Jeff Bridges & Jessica Lange)
    15 points/ 3 charts = LA+SD/Miami/New Orleans
    BDA Top 40: 1 week on chart/ *DEBUT
    DCC chart: 1 week on chart / *DEBUT

29) (11) DADDY COOL/ FEVER/ TAKE THE HEAT OFF ME - Boney M
    (Atco LP: 4:05/4:01/4:47) P: Frank Farian // W: F. Farian/Reyam; 2) Davenport/Cooley; 3) Bigazzi
    "DC": 31 points/ 3 charts = Phoenix/Seattle + Montreal
    "Fever" + "TTHOM": 5 points EACH/ 1 chart = Phoenix
    BDA Top 40: 9 weeks/ 5 weeks/ 8 weeks on chart/ Last week: #11 (-18)
    DCC chart: 9 weeks/ 8 weeks/ 8 weeks on chart

30) (35) LOVE BUG - Bumble Bee [Bumblebee] Unlimited
    (Red Greg/Mercury 12-inch promo: 7:12) P: Gregory Carmichael & Patrick Adams // W: P. Adams
    18 points/ 2 charts = Chicago/Detroit
    BDA Top 40: 11 weeks on chart/ Last week: #35(+5)
    DCC chart: 18 weeks on chart
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______

31) (19) UNFINISHED BUSINESS - The Blackbyrds
    (Fantasy LP: 6:31) P: Donald Byrd // W: Kevin Toney
    11 points/ 3 charts = Atlanta/Pittsburgh/Seattle
    BDA Top 40: 6 weeks on chart // Last week: #19 (-12)
    DCC chart: 7 weeks on chart

32) (14) HA CHA CHA (Funktion) - Brass Construction
    (United Artists LP: 5:51) P: Jeff Lane // W: Randy Muller
    9 points/ 4 charts = Detroit/LA+SD/N.O./Phoenix
    BDA Top 40: 8 weeks on chart/ Last week: #14 (-18)
    DCC chart: 9 weeks on chart

33) (R) YOU KEEP ME HANGIN' ON - David Matthews (& Whirlwind) [not the "Full Time Thing" Whirlwind!!!]
    (CTI LP/ newly released Kudu 12-inch single: 6:35/ flipside of Esther Phillips "Magic's/Boy" medley)
    P: Creed Taylor // W: Holland-Dozier-Holland
    14 points/ 2 charts = Baltimore+DC/Miami
    BDA Top 40: 7 weeks on chart // (R)= RETURN (last charted 12/18/76 @ #18) - LP version)
    DCC chart: 10 weeks on chart
    // Last week: #67 (+34)

34) (R) MAKE IT UP TO ME IN LOVE - Odia Coates & Paul Anka
    (Epic 12-inch: 5:35) ["A Tom Moulton Mix"] P: Denny Diante // W: Paul Anka
    9 points/ 1 chart = NYC
    BDA Top 40: 2 weeks on chart // (R) = RETURN (last charted 12/25/76 @ #40)
    DCC chart: 5 weeks on chart // Last week: #78 (+44)

35) (18) I DON'T WANNA LOSE YOUR LOVE - The Emotions
    (Columbia LP/ 12-inch promo & 12-inch commercial single 4:00) P: Maurice White/Charles Stepney // W: W. Hawes
    12 points/ 2 charts = Dallas+Houston/Miami
    BDA Top 40: 21 weeks on chart/ Last week: #18 (-17)
    DCC chart: 25 weeks on chart

36) (27) I'M YOUR BOOGIE MAN/ KEEP IT COMIN' LOVE [medley] - KC & The Sunshine Band
    (T.K. LP: 4:05/4:23) P/W: Harry Wayne Casey/Richard Finch
    15 points EACH/ 2 charts EACH = Dallas+Houston/NewOrleans
    BDA Top 40: 12 weeks each on chart/ Last week: #27 (-9)
    DCC chart: 12 weeks EACH on chart

37) (28) AT THE TOP OF THE STAIRS - Wild Honey
    (T.K. Disco 1 12-inch--TK's 1st!!!: 7:15) P: Ron "Have Mercy" Kersey // W: Leon Huff/J.Akines
    3 points/ 2 charts = Baltimore+DC/Detroit
    BDA Top 40: 4 weeks on chart/ Last week: #28 (-9)

38) (33) GOOD LOVE MAKES EVERYTHING ALRIGHT - Melba Moore
    (Buddah 12" promo/LP: 7:32) P: Charles Kipps/Van McCoy // W: V. McCoy/Richard Harris
    6 points/ 2 charts = Chicago/NYC
    BDA Top 40: 4 weeks on chart // Last week: #33 (-5)

39) (39) TURN ON TO LOVE - Jumbo
    (Pye LP: 17:18; later released on Prelude) P/W: Charles Orieux & Ingo Cramer
    12 points/ 2 charts = Baltimore+DC/Phoenix
    BDA Top 40: 2 weeks on chart // Last week: #39 (+/-0)

40) (--) * BLACK BROTHERS/ * MANGOUS YE - Black Soul
    (Beam Junction 12-inch: 7:21/6:00) P: VMT Records //W: Black Soul & R. Tweston
    "BB": 7 points/ 2 charts = Atlanta/NYC
    "MY": 4 points/1 chart = NYC
    BDA Top 40: 1 week EACH on chart // *DEBUT
    DCC chart: 2 weeks/ 1 week on chart // "BB": (R) = Return (last charted 12/25/76 @ #85)/ "MY": *DEBUT
    Last edited by markydefad; October 27th, 2009 at 05:57 PM.

OK, the January 15, 1977 Top 40 is, at long last, complete.

January 15, 1977

Billboard National Disco Action Top 40 Stats:

DEBUTS: (+6)
    (this week, only 1 of the 6 titles that debut on the Billboard chart has already appeared on the Disco Compilation Consensus chart; it is marked **)

09) * DISCO INFERNO - The Trammps (Atlanta/Baltimore+DC/Boston/NYC/Phoenix=#1/SF)
    09) * STARVIN' - The Trammps (Atlanta/Baltimore+DC/Boston/NYC/Phoenix=#1/SF)
    09) * BODY CONTACT CONTRACT - The Trammps (Atlanta/Baltimore+DC/Boston/NYC/SF)
    28) * THEME FROM "KING KONG" - Love Unlimited Orchestra (LA+SD/Miami/New Orleans)
    40)**BLACK BROTHERS - Black Soul (Atlanta/NYC)
    40) * MANGOUS YE - Black Soul (NYC)

RETURNS: (+2)
    33) (R) YOU KEEP ME HANGIN' ON - David Matthews & Whirlwind (Baltimore+DC/Miami)
    34) (R) MAKE IT UP TO ME IN LOVE - Odia Coates & Paul Anka (NYC)

DROPOFFS: (-9)
    TRIED, TESTED AND FOUND TRUE - Ashford & Simpson (was #34 last week/ 1 week in Top 40/ Peak: #34/ currently "bubbling under" @ #65)
    DAYLIGHT - Vicki Sue Robinson (was #36 last week/15 weeks in Top 40/Peak: #9)
    SHOULD I STAY/I WON'T LET YOU GO [medley] - Vicki Sue Robinson (was bundled @ #36 last week/12 weeks in Top 40/Peak: bundled @ #9)
    BLACK JACK - Tender Aggression (was #37 last week/ 1 week in Top 40/currently "bubbling under" @ #86)
    CALYPSO BREAKDOWN - Ralph MacDonald (was #38 last week/18 weeks in Top 40/ Peak: #7/ currently "bubbling under" @ #62)
    WHERE IS THE LOVE - Ralph MacDonald (was bundled @ #38 last week/ 10 weeks in Top 40/Peak: bundled @ #7)
    LET'S GET IT TOGETHER - El Coco (was #40 last week/ 18 weeks in Top 40/ Peak: #10/ currently "bubbling under" @ #72)
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION - El Coco (was bundled @ #40 last week/3 weeks in Top 40/Peak: bundled @ #34)
    PUT ON YOUR JEANS - El Coco (was bundled @ #40 last week/ 3 weeks in Top 40/ Peak: bundled @ #34)

HEAT UP
    MOVIN' ON UP: Biggest Movers (chart positions)
    +13 DISCO LUCY (moves from #26 up to #13)
    +12 SPRING RAIN (moves from #30 up to #18)
    +10 MAGIC'S IN THE AIR/BOY, I REALLY TIED ONE ON (moves from #15 up to #5)
    +09 LOVE IN MOTION/CUT THE RAG/GIVIN' BACK THE FEELING (moves from #17 up to #8)
    +06 DANCE AND SHAKE YOUR TAMBOURINE (moves from #31 up to #25)

COOL DOWN
    I'M GOIN' DOWN: Biggest Drops (chart postions)
    -18 DADDY COOL/FEVER/TAKE THE HEAT OFF ME (moves from #11 down to #29)
    -18 HA CHA CHA (moves from #14 down to #32)
    -17 I DON'T WANNA LOSE YOUR LOVE (moves from #18 down to #35)
    -12 UNFINISHED BUSINESS (moves from #19 down to #31)
    -10 THAT'S THE TROUBLE/SORRY (moves from #7 down to #17)
    -09 I'M YOUR BOOGIE MAN/KEEP IT COMIN' LOVE (moves from #27 down to #36)
    -09 AT THE TOP OF THE STAIRS (moves from #28 down to #37)

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____

CITY CHART CONSENSUS:
    (Cities charting the most National Disco Action Top 10 titles in their Top 15 listings)

+ALL 10: 0 cities
    9 Items: 0 cities
    8 Items: 2 cities = Atlanta/Pittsburgh
    7 Items: 3 cities = Baltimore+DC/LA+SD/Miami
    6 Items: 5 cities = Boston/Dallas+Houston/Detroit/New Orleans/NYC
    5 Items: 4 cities = Chicago/Phoenix/SF/Seattle
    4 Items: 1 city = Philadelphia
    3 Items: 0 cities
    2 Items: 0 cities

+1 Item: 1 city = Montreal

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______

CHART COMPARISON TIME: 1/15/77

Last week, 1/08/77, I gave you at the 2 BIGGIES at the start of 1977:
    EAST COAST: NEW YORK CITY (+7 in the national Top 10) vs. WEST COAST: LOS ANGELES/SAN DIEGO (+9 in the national Top 10)

This week, I'm gonna show 3 charts (one at the top-end of National chart alignment, one in the middle, and one at the very bottom) that DON'T have Thelma Houston's "Don't Leave Me This Way" as their #1---all three also have important DEBUT stats: HIT & RUN (Atlanta-first #1 listing) + DISCO INFERNO (Phoenix-first #1 listing) + LOVE IN C MINOR (first chart appearance in Montreal)

ATLANTA (+8 in the national Top 10) vs. PHOENIX (+5 in the national Top 10) vs. MONTREAL (+1 in the national Top 10)

[National Disco Top 10 titles in BOLD/italics/underlined] (NC = Not Charted in Top 40]

ATLANTA, GEORGIA Top 15: 1/15/77 (+8 in National Top 10)

01) DREAMIN'/ HIT AND RUN/ RIPPED OFF - Loleatta Holloway (Billboard ranked #22/NC/NC)
    02) FOUR SEASONS OF LOVE (#4)
    03) DON'T LEAVE ME THIS WAY (#1 on National Chart)
    04) OVERTURE/DON'T KEEP IT IN THE SHADOWS (#2)
    05) YOU'RE MY DRIVING WHEEL/ LET YOURSELF GO/I DON'T WANT TO BE TIED DOWN (#11/#11/NC)
    06) BOY, I REALLY TIED ONE ON (#5)
    07) LOVE IN MOTION/GIVIN' BACK THE FEELING (#8)
    08) I WISH/AS/ANOTHER STAR (#3/NC/#3)
    09) DANCIN' (#6)
    10) I DON'T KNOW WHAT'S ON YOUR MIND/ I'VE LEARNED FROM MY BURNS (#21)
    11) DISCO INFERNO/BODY CONTACT CONTRACT/STARVIN' (#9)
    12) UNFINISHED BUSINESS (#31)
    13) BLACK BROTHERS (#40)
    14) FREEDOM TO EXPRESS YOURSELF - Denise LaSalle (NC)
    15) DANCE LITTLE LADY DANCE/BOOGIETHON/I THINK IT'S TIME FOR A CHANGE OF HEART - Tina Charles (NC/NC/NC--first U.S chart appearance for any of these titles)

PHOENIX, ARIZONA Top 15: 1/15/77 (+5 in National Top 10)

01) DISCO INFERNO/STARVIN'/BODY CONTACT CONTRACT (nationally ranked #9--1st #1 on a city chart)
    02) DISCO LUCY (#13)
    03) INDISCREET/ O BA BA/ OVERTURE/FACE OF LOVE (#2/#2/#2/NC)
    04) DREAM EXPRESS (#20)
    05) DON'T LEAVE ME THIS WAY (#1 nationally)
    06) SPRING RAIN (#18)
    07) YOU KEEP ME HANGIN' ON/STOP! IN THE NAME OF LOVE - Roni Hill (NC)
    08) BOY, I REALLY TIED ONE ON (#5)
    09) DANCIN'/ SEARCHING FOR LOVE (#6)
    10) STAY AWAY/LOOKING AWAY (#27)
    11) FEVER/ DADDY COOL/ HELP HELP/ TAKE THE HEAT OFF ME (#29/#29/NC/#29)
    12) BITE YOUR LIP (Get Up And Dance) - Elton John (NC)
    13) SPY FOR BROTHERHOOD - The Miracles (NC)
    14) HA CHA CHA (#32)
    15) UNDER CONSTRUCTION/ LOVE VACCINE - El Coco (NC/NC)

+ BONUS CHART: MONTREAL (+1 in the National Top 10)

01) WHY MUST A GIRL LIKE ME - Claujda Barry (NC)
    02) DADDY COOL - Boney M (#29)
    03) FIGHTIN' ON THE SIDE OF LOVE - T.H.P. Orchestra (NC)
    04) SPRING RAIN - Silvetti (#18)
    05) GET ON UP AND DANCE (The Continental) - The Earls (NC)
    06) LOIN D'ICI - Boule Noire (NC)
    07) THAT'S THE TROUBLE/SORRY - Grace Jones (#17)
    08) THE HUSTLE AND THE BUS STOP - Destinations (NC)
    09) WHEN LOVE IS NEW - Arthur Prysock (#23)
    10) TATTOO MAN - Denise McCann (NC)
    11) JE DANSE - Adamo (NC)
    12) SPRING AFFAIR - Donna Summer (#4 in USA--first appearance on Montreal chart!)
    13) IN ZAIRE - Johnny Wakelin (NC)
    14) OPEN SESAME - Kool & The Gang (#15)
    15) LOVE IN C MINOR - Cerrone (NC)

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______

1977 ranking of cities with the
    most Billboard National Top 10 Disco Chart titles
    in their weekly Top 15 city rankings:

(20 points would be a perfect score = 10 items per week x 2 weeks in 1977)

1) Atlanta/Los Angeles+San Diego/Pittsburgh (16 out of a possible 20)
    2) Baltimore+DC (14 out of 20)
    3) Dallas+Houston/Miami/New Orleans/NYC (13 out of 20)
    4) Boston/Detroit (12 out of 20)
    5) Chicago/SF (11 out of 20)
    6) Phoenix/Seattle (10 out of 20)
    7) Philadelphia (9 out of 20)
    8) Montreal (2 out of 20)

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __

THE BILLBOARD NATIONAL DISCO ACTION TOP 40 version of...

IN THE LONG RUN: Longest Chart Runs (12 weeks & over)

21 weeks:
    I DON'T WANNA LOSE YOUR LOVE
    YOU + ME = LOVE

20 weeks:
    DOWN TO LOVE TOWN
    MAKES YOU BLIND

17 weeks:
    DAZZ

16 weeks:
    CAR WASH

15 weeks:
    FOUR SEASONS OF LOVE

13 weeks:
    ANOTHER STAR/I WISH/SIR DUKE

12 weeks:
    I'M YOUR BOOGIE MAN/KEEP IT COMIN' LOVE
    ISN'T SHE LOVELY
    MY LOVE IS FREE
    THAT'S THE TROUBLE

[dropped this week:
    "Calypso Breakdown" (18 weeks)
    "Let's Get It Together" (18 weeks)
    "Where Is The Love" (16 weeks)
    "Daylight" (15 weeks)
    "Should I Stay/I Won't Let You Go" (12 weeks) ]

NEXT: THE DISCO COMPILATION "BUBBLING UNDER" CHART FOR JANUARY 15, 1977: Positions # 41 thru #90!
    Last edited by markydefad; October 26th, 2009 at 11:13 PM.

At the risk of sounding repetitive...
    Thank you, Marky! Soooo much, for all your hard work.

I could go into all that the '76, '77, and '78 charts mean to me, but I'd rather focus the accolades, squarely on you!

MUAH!

moosey-hugz,
    Stephen L.
    Last edited by STEPHEN L FREEMAN; October 27th, 2009 at 07:16 PM. Reason: grammar
    "MUSIC IS AN EMOTION, SEARCHING FOR IT'S VOICE"

...come with me, "BACK TO MUSIC", on DISCOTERIA
    http://www.live365.com/stations/cdnbob2

Page 3 of 87 FirstFirst 1234567891353 ... LastLast

Permissions

vagrant-critical