Find a song, artist, record...
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Re: Need help with classification/organization of collection

Quote Originally Written by Cdnbob View Post
    Hmmm... I'll have to see if IKEA in Canada carries this. Thanks for the heads up.
    They do, in a variety of sizes.

I preferred the Lack line which is much stronger, but they no longer make the ones that are 5 units high... they max out at 4 now.

Hey Pierre:

How would you file Jean Carn(e) and Wilson Pickett? With Motown or not?

Disco Funk is offline Platinum Record [Level 8]

Pickett was mainly Atlantic, wasn't he? I don't recall any big records of his being Motown. Jean Carne also had a philly period, which is the only period I would buy stuff from her. Did she do motown in her earlier years?

Disco Funk

For my own personal interest and comfort, my 12" singles are filed by the year they were released and also low to high bpms. I regard it as my own personal musical diary. Some years have a higher quantity than others...1979, 1986, 1990 and 1996 specifically...these years seem to stand out as times when I was most excited with looking for and buying new releases.

My disco/ dance vinyl albums are grouped by year as well although my dance cds are alphabetical. Buying vinyl holds more memories for me.:icon_cool:

Oh...and my mp3s automatically go in alphabetical order thanks to computer software. They're on blank cds marked "A - M" or "L - S". Kinda shows that they don't hold much meaning for me.
    Dancin' helps relieve the pain, soothes your mind, makes you happy again

Both Pickett and Carn(e) went to Motown in the 80's after their commercial peak but I wouldn't consider them Motown artists. Other artists Motown released just a couple on towards the end of their careers included Jerry Butler, Emotions, and Chuck Jackson. There's no perfect system for filing though but I think if I had 45's, I might go by label.

Page 2 of 2 First 12

Permissions