Thread: Chic - Dance, Dance, Dance on Buddah and Atlantic 12 Inch. Why?

needlefingers is offline Platinum Record [Level 8]
    I know that Chic's Dance Dance Dance was originaly released as a 12 inch on Buddah Records and then moved over to Atlantic Records.

I don't know the whole story on that. Either they didn't have a real contract with Buddah, or Atlantic bought Buddah. And I don't know if the mixes are the same.

Does anyone know the story behind that?

Re: LPs/Singles Released On One Label, Remixed On Another

Quote Originally Written by needlefingers View Post
    I know that Chic's Dance Dance Dance was originaly released as a 12 inch on Buddah Records and then moved over to Atlantic Records.
    I don't know the whole story on that. Either they didn't have a real contract with Buddah, or Atlantic bought Buddah. And I don't know if the mixes are the same.
    Does anyone know the story behind that?
    Buddah signed them but not in a full legal way: it was just an option and they had to confirm it within 30 days. At the time, it was the end for Buddah and Arista was about to buy the label. Even though, Buddah pressed some promo copies (DSC-121) with a turtle on top of the center of the vinyl -it was the name of the production- and a big «Mix by Savarese» printed on the bottom although Savarese did nothing; the B-side was «São Paulo», the only other song they had recorded. During the 30 days, the men behind Chic thought it would be a good idea to have another label to back them up just in case. This label was Atlantic, much more enthousiastic and who pressed promo copies for the Billboard disco forum opening the same week-end. At the convention, the record was a hit, so Atlantic rushed things to have Chic exclusively. A deal was signed very fast and the record issued officially in November 1977. Arista's president Clive Davis tried to take advantage of Buddah's rights but it was too late.
    The Atlantic mix on the 12" DK-4600 (and re-issued the same year as DK-4621) is exactly the same mix as the one on Buddah's 12".

tony98 is offline Underground Hit [Level 5]

Re: LPs/Singles Released On One Label, Remixed On Another

I remember the Chic "Buddah" 12" turning up in a US import delivery in our shop,when we re- ordered it there was a delay and the next copies where on Atlantic, i always wondered what the story was behind that.

remicks is offline Double Platinum Record [Level 9]

Re: Chic - Dance, Dance, Dance on Buddah and Atlantic 12 Inch. Why?

What a great story .
    and one that probably still makes Clive Davi$ sizzle !

I still recall the thrill -
    I guess I always will

I doubt this will be the last example of conflicting contracts when a record's being shopped to several major labels. I have copies of songs by the Troggs on Atco and Fontana, and both labels sold enough copies to chart high in the US national top 40.
    skiddly bop doo wow! (Billy Paul) Wake up and live! (Debbie Allen)
    Bow-chick-a-bow, chick-a-bow-wow-wow!(Hugh Roy)
    Pray like it's all up to God, work like it's all up to you.
    The only people you need to get even with are the ones who helped you.(Patti LaBelle)
    When life hands you lemons, marinate the chicken.(Anne Burrell)

Permissions

vagrant-critical