Thread: My disco pleasure today & yesterday

usagi-san is offline Indie Release [Level 4]
    I walk about an hour on weekdays, to the train station and back. I listen to my portable tape player or CD player. Yesterday I listened to the albums:

First Choice: Hold Your Horses

Beautiful Bend: Make That Feeling Come Again!

Today I listened to:

Lipstique: At The Discotheque

The Wonderland Band: Wonderwoman

Does anyone else know or like these?

kelvy is offline Advance Promo Copy [Level 3]

On 2001-11-21 20:38, usagi-san wrote:

I walk about an hour on weekdays, to the train station and back. I listen to my portable tape player or CD player. Yesterday I listened to the albums:

Today I listened to:

Beautiful Bend...another piece of artistry by Boris Midney. From what Bernie has imparted, Boris was one of the first producers to take hold of a 48-track mixer in the studio. Which is no small feat considering the multiude of musicians employed in his productions.

Lipstique: At The Discotheque is a European-based production. i have that record somewhere, but i have not played it in ages. My copy was a pressing from RCA Canada.

Speaking of First Choice, i do not recall "hold your horses" but i love 1980's "breakaway"....and obviously their anthems "love thang", "let no man put us under", "dangerous"....To me, First Choice are the first ladies of Disco, no no, make that the timeless first ladies of the dancefloor, as their material mostly penned by the Baker-Harris-Young team, are a good basis for a lot of the vocal house music of today (sans the orchestra).

get back at me,

kelvy

Yesterday I listened to the albums:

Today I listened to:

Usagi-San,

I love Beautiful Bend!! Their first song that

I fell in love with was "That's The Meaning"

and of course "Boogie Motion". These two songs were popular back in 76/77? thanks to

a weekly hustle dance contest variety show called "Dance Fever". I didn't hear "Make That Feeling Come Again" and "Ah Do It" until later because they didn't get as much

air play as the first two. The only time I

will hear these last two songs is in italian

discotheques and radio stations that plays

eurodisco(WKTU-NY). I bought the cd earlier

this year and it's very entrancing as well as

hypnotic!!!!

DELIGHTFUL!!!

usagi-san is offline Indie Release [Level 4]

On 2001-11-21 23:50, kelvy wrote:

Today I listened to:

Beautiful Bend...another piece of artistry by Boris Midney. From what Bernie has imparted, Boris was one of the first producers to take hold of a 48-track mixer in the studio. Which is no small feat considering the multiude of musicians employed in his productions.

Lipstique: At The Discotheque is a European-based production. i have that record somewhere, but i have not played it in ages. My copy was a pressing from RCA Canada.

Speaking of First Choice, i do not recall "hold your horses" but i love 1980's "breakaway"....and obviously their anthems "love thang", "let no man put us under", "dangerous"....To me, First Choice are the first ladies of Disco, no no, make that the timeless first ladies of the dancefloor, as their material mostly penned by the Baker-Harris-Young team, are a good basis for a lot of the vocal house music of today (sans the orchestra).

get back at me,

kelvy

Hi Kelvy,

Thanks for the reply. Before I found this forum, most of what I knew about Boris Midney was from the liner notes of the 2 disc "The Boris Midney Anthology". Quite an innovator. I think he, Cerrone and Alec R. Costandinos were/are brilliant.

Yes, I think First Choice were to the dancefloor what the Supremes were to Motown pop.

Yes, I could tell Lipstique was European, recorded in London and Munich. Mine is an English pressing.

I bought Wonderland Band because it was on Roadshow. I also liked Witch Queen on that label.

kelvy is offline Advance Promo Copy [Level 3]

Usagi-San, about "witch queen", are you refering to one of Gino Soccio's productions? i've read about it but never got around listening to it.

And Cerrone, have you heard the remake of "love in c minor" by the Heart & Soul Orchestra on Casablanca circa 1977? it's quite good although i have not pulled it out in a good while.

get back at me,

kelvy

Permissions

vagrant-critical