Thread: Why won't CDs play in computer?

Svend is offline Indie Release [Level 4]

Why won't CDs play in computer?

Suddenly my computer is refusing to read homemade CDs and blank CDs, so that I can't even make new ones to play elsewhere. These homemade CDs will play just fine in my home stereo, my Bose, and my Discman. Prerecorded CDs work fine in the computer too.

However, when I put a blank or homemade CD into the computer, the light blinks for a minute or two and then--bleah--the computer spits it out.

I've tried the laser cleaning discs with no improvement. Are there other things I can try? Do lasers weaken with time? Does the computer need an overhaul? Help!

Re: Why won't CDs play in computer?

Quote Originally Written by Svend
    Suddenly my computer is refusing to read homemade CDs and blank CDs, so that I can't even make new ones to play elsewhere. These homemade CDs will play just fine in my home stereo, my Bose, and my Discman. Prerecorded CDs work fine in the computer too.

However, when I put a blank or homemade CD into the computer, the light blinks for a minute or two and then--bleah--the computer spits it out.

I've tried the laser cleaning discs with no improvement. Are there other things I can try? Do lasers weaken with time? Does the computer need an overhaul? Help!
    Sounds like overhaul time or a new CD writer. They're very inexpensive nowadays, aren't they? Probably cheaper than a repair job would be.

Thanks, Quinny--I guessed it was something more than a dirty laser but didn't know enough about computers to be able to name it.

Disco Funk is offline Platinum Record [Level 8]
    I wonder if it could also be a virus from some anti-piracy CD? I recall reading about Sony/BMG getting sued because their anti-copy CD software stuck some programs deep in the computer and is difficult to remove. I don't know if those anti-piracy CDs deposit programs that might do stuff like prevent you from using CD-Rs on your computer so you can't burn copies of their albums?

Disco Funk

I wondered about that too, Disco Funk--there was just an article about that in the local paper. However, it seems the Sony-related function is to prevent copying CDs and I am still able to copy tracks onto my hard drive.

Permissions

vagrant-critical