Find a song, artist, record...

Thread: Mary J. Blige

Leanmean is offline Indie Release [Level 4]
    A friend of mine turned me on to a cut from Mary's new CD No More Drama called "Family Affair." It has a great rhythm to it and made me want todance even though I was driving!

Last night on VHI there was a Behind the Music on Mary which was very enlightening. I did not know she has been on the music scene for so long. P. Didy and she called her style of music Hip Hop Soul because she sings (rather than raps) over a hip hop beat. She does one song called "My Life" that I heard snippets of and the background music was from the song that goes, "Everybody loves the sunshine. Folks gettin' down in the sunshine. My life, my life, my life in the sunshine." Who is the original by? Is it Roy Ayers or the Blackbyrds?

I never really paid any attention to her before, but now I'm really interested. Any thoughts or comments?

One of the more beautiful songs she has done is a duet with Wyclef Jean called '911'. And on her previous CD 'Mary' she does an amazing, heavily disco-influenced version of 'Let No Man Put Asunder'.

kelvy is offline Advance Promo Copy [Level 3]
    Leanmean, i think Roy Ayers did the original, but there was another version done by a group called "Ramp" around the same time. Roy Ayers may have even have something to do with "Ramp". The Ramp version can be found on a compilation called "Mellow Mellow, Right On" that has a lot of slower 70s r&b tunes.

As for Mary J Blige, there was this double-pack vinyl promo out a couple of years ago and it has a remake of "let no man put us under". There was even one verion in which Rochelle Fleming reprised her verse in there.

Hope all is well

get back at me,

kelvy

paul is offline Double Platinum Record [Level 9]
    Hey Lean. Roy Ayers was the one who did "Everybody Loves The Sunshine." It's one of my favorites.

Speaking of Roy Ayers, Erika Baduh(sp) I think also covered one of other favorites, Searching.

Permissions